Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

06-30-2010

Los Angeles

1 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 1 of 2

T61p will not boot (no fan, hard drive or drisplay response) after accidental drop

2010-06-30, 6:22 AM

Hi there,

I'm hoping that someone much more knowledgeable than me can help me with my problem.  The other day, my laptop tumbled out of my trunk and onto the floor.  The following morning, I tried booting the laptop and nothing happened.  No hard drive spinning, no fan and no display. 

When on ac power, the plug icon is lit.  When I press the power button, nothing happens, although the power icon remains lit.  When on battery and battery + ac power the same situations occur.  The battery and/or plug icon remain lit while I press the power button, and nothing happens.

I have tried reseating the memory and the hard drive, but the situation remains the same. 

I'm really hoping that this won't involve a motherboard replacement, as I'm out of warranty.  If it does lead up to a motherboard replacement, can anyone give me a ballpark on how much parts and labor would cost?  Maybe it's better to just buy a new machine.

Thanks in advance for any help! =)

Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: T61p will not boot (no fan, hard drive or drisplay response) after accidental drop

2010-06-30, 7:46 AM

this is a hard diagnose to make.

If you had the mini dock or something, you could try to use the external switch to power up the laptop. If that doesn't work then there is probably some major hardware fault.

Have you tried to reseat the CPU on the laptop?

The cost of repair would be prohibitive as the repairer has to work his way through to find the fault. The second hand motherboard on ebay are not 100% in terms of quality, as they may contain faulty GPU.

The cost of the motherboard from IBM parts would be 500 dollars plus. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms