Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

29 Posts

01-04-2008

United States of America

66 Signins

427 Page Views

• Views: 427
  • Message 1 of 5

T6x accessory compatibility

2008-01-04, 4:16 AM
We have several Thinkpad T2x series notebooks which are getting old and I'm thinking of upgrading.  However, we have a lot of accessories for these - from docking stations to ultrabay batteries and hard drives.

I'm wondering if any of these accessories will be compatible with a T6x notebook? 

TIA.
Options

572 Posts

11-24-2007

Mt. Cobb, PA USA

618 Signins

20276 Page Views

• Views: 20276
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: T6x accessory compatibility

2008-01-04, 12:15 PM
Bad news.

Some parts were compatible with T30, even less with the T4x series.
Nothing of the T2x will fit in a T6x series.
The T6x series uses SATA instead of PATA/IDE.

But before you take the plunge, here is some nice reading about the T23
How many do you have to replace?
Options

29 Posts

01-04-2008

United States of America

66 Signins

427 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2008-01-04, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately, as much as I like Thinkpads, it looks like that will put them out of our price range.  We have about 8 of them to replace, but this is a small company.  And we're looking at over $2500 each by the time we add the options and accessories.

It's too bad - we got our first ones almost 8 years ago, and they've served us well.  But we will save several hundred dollars per machine with other brands.

And yes, the T23 is nice.  But it's still old technology, and part of the reason we're looking for replacements.  Also, when they fail (we've had two T2x's fail recently - a system board and a display), the cost of fixing them is too high. 
Options

8 Posts

12-16-2007

Michigan, USA

42 Signins

315 Page Views

• Views: 315
  • Message 4 of 5

2008-01-06, 20:55 PM

wrote:
Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately, as much as I like Thinkpads, it looks like that will put them out of our price range.  We have about 8 of them to replace, but this is a small company.  And we're looking at over $2500 each by the time we add the options and accessories.

You must be adding a significant number of accessories to get into that price range. You can get a base T61 series machine for around $1k. Perhaps if you could describe what you are looking for some members could suggest strategies for getting into your price range while meeting your requirements. Savings is a funny thing, if you had T20s that lasted 8 years, it would be a shame to save a couple of hundred dollars on new machines that may end up having half of the life of a Thinkpad.
Options

29 Posts

01-04-2008

United States of America

66 Signins

427 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2008-01-06, 22:06 PM
A fair question.

First of all, we aren't starting with the cheapest system.  Then we're adding more memory, larger hard drives, backup hard drives and ultrabay adapters and docking stations to each system.  Add in warranty extension and the rest, and the total comes to almost $2500 per system.

This has left us with no choice but to look at other brands.  Nowadays IBM/Lenovo isn't the only laptop with a good track record.  But it is more expensive than most.  And for a small company with the economy like it is, we need to save where we can.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms