Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

10-28-2008

Singapore

9 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 1 of 5

The quality and warranty of my T61

2008-11-06, 7:57 AM

I have purchased a T61 last year. Within one year, this laptop has given me so many troubles. Firstly, the motherboard malfunctioned and was changed. Second time, the battery cannot be charged at all. My work was gone at the moment I unplugged the power cord for a discussion with colleague. This time around, the LCD leakage happened from inside.When I power on the laptop, it was ok. After a while of usage, from inside of the LCD panel, one spot started to show some ink mark. I thought it was mainboard malfunction again due to graphic card. However, after a while, there seems some cracks start to propagate from that point, and toward different directions. After I called the service center, service engineer checked on the spot. He agreed to change one LCD panel. Just when he's taking out the existing panel, he was instructed to stop changing the panel. And after escalating again and again, I have been kept waiting for 2weeks. Everytime, they will delay the call they promised untill I call in again and again (in 2days, in 5 working days, next Monday, by tomorrow evening, leave your name and contacts untill we contact you further). My request for replacement of the LCD was still rejected. The so called management won't believe either me or their own service engineer.

I have never abused my laptop; I love my laptop. And For 10 years, I have been using thinkpad, so yes I know how to take care of thinkpad. I am actually a fan of thinkpad. due to its good design, keyboard and trackpoint. My T40 lasted for 4 years before I ordered T61. During the 4 years, T40 only failed me once due to cd-writer failure. When purchasing T61, I did not believe the ads about how the rolled cage design can protect the LCD, yet the LCD itself disappointed me. I should have treated T61 less well so that I wont get so pissed off by the product and service quality. I have put so much trust in your product.

I'm wondering if anyone here can help me out with this situation.

Options

167 Posts

01-08-2008

Central Texas

242 Signins

1576 Page Views

• Views: 1576
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: The quality and warranty of my T61

2008-11-06, 14:25 PM

Well, obviously the panel must be replaced.

Did they give you a reason why they don't want to replace the panel?

Centex

Options

4 Posts

10-28-2008

Singapore

9 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2008-11-06, 15:47 PM

They claim LCD crack is considered as physical damage, even though the service engineer checked the condition of my laptop and agreed with me. I also described how this had happened as stated in the first post here. They only claim that their policy consider it as physical damage and will not cover by their warranty. My request to speak to someone who made the decision, which implied that the damage was caused by me rather than their quality, was rejected by the reason that they are on a training course. Yeah, they definitely need more proper training. I was even told that "LCD just doesn't crack by itself". HOW can one be more offended and frustrated by such an excuse?

Message Edited by tywang on 11-07-2008 06:49 AM
Options

17 Posts

05-03-2008

USA

18 Signins

140 Page Views

• Views: 140
  • Message 4 of 5

2008-11-06, 20:14 PM

you had sent it to repair once for motherboard and on that time, it might be the time your lcd cracked.

this may be the same situation like yours. http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=4075108

Options

4 Posts

10-28-2008

Singapore

9 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2008-11-07, 14:53 PM

My LCD cracked from inside. Don't know the cause, it just start from one point inside. Anyway, my request to talk to someone who made the decision is still pending. I was told someone will call me this morning. But it's almost 11pm now, my handphone never ring. And what's more, no report or what's so ever has been sent to my email address as promised. I'm wondering, is this case just closed like that?

Can someone working in Lenovo give me a hint please?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms