Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

05-04-2021

Germany

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 6

Thinkpad T15 Gen 2 processor goes to power saving on display off

2021-05-04, 4:25 AM

Hi

I run sometimes high performance tasks on my T15 Gen 2. If I am working on the PC at the same time the display remains turned-on and it works fine. If I go away and the screen goes off (automatically after 15 minutes on AC power connected), the processor goes to power saving mode (fan turns off, for example) and the task I run is almost stalled due to power and/or performance throttling due to screen off. I tried High Performance mode on battery icon with zero effect. My Windows 10 Pro 64 bit also does not show any other power plan except Balanced (no processor power management option there as well).

Any ideas how to solve this issue?

Edit: I have also searched extensively online to disable Modern Standby, enable default Power Plans in Windows, enable Processor Power Management in power plan options with no success.

Moderator comment: Moved to the proper forum. (NateS)

Options

4154 Posts

08-02-2018

Singapore

831 Signins

21454 Page Views

• Views: 21454
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:Thinkpad T15 Gen 2 processor goes to power saving on display off

2021-05-04, 10:31 AM

Hello truefriend2004!

Welcome to community forums

When did this problem start? Any changes or any updates/programs installed before the issue came up?

Try running the update through the Lenovo Vantage app and install all available updates.

You can also manually install the BIOS, Power management driver, and the GPU driver here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t15-gen-2-type-20w4-20w5/downloads/driver-list/

Let us know how it goes.

Jwes_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

3 Posts

05-04-2021

Germany

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2021-05-04, 10:58 AM

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

The system is less than 3 weeks old. The issue has been there from the start (screen off and power consumption is cut to minimum, fan turns off). 

I have tried all drivers (GPU, BIOS, Power Management) manually. Each driver installer has said that the current install driver is the same. Hence, no change is required.

Options

4154 Posts

08-02-2018

Singapore

831 Signins

21454 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2021-05-04, 22:02 PM

Which version of Windows 10 are you currently running? 

Have you tried resetting to its factory defaults since you've noticed this issue since you received this computer? This will help identify whether the issue is hardware or not. Kindly backup your files before proceeding.

Jwes_Lenovo

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

3 Posts

05-04-2021

Germany

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2021-05-05, 8:10 AM

Hi

I reinstalled Windows 10 and upgraded it to Pro from the default Home version. So it cannot be factory reset I think.

In between I have been able to get back the Processor Power Management option back in the power plan advanced options by disabling Modern Standby option. Though I am not sure if it will be helpful.

Ref 1

Ref 2

Options

4154 Posts

08-02-2018

Singapore

831 Signins

21454 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2021-05-05, 15:28 PM

If you reinstalled the OS and still the same issue persists then I would suggest bringing this to any of our authorized repair centers for further assistance.

You can find the list here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/de/de/partnerlocator

Regards

Jwes_Lenovo

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms