Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

04-03-2008

Germany

6 Signins

37 Page Views

• Views: 37
  • Message 1 of 8

Vista Activation

2008-04-03, 20:00 PM
Hey folks,

I started up my T60 with its Vista Business today and it asked me to activate my Vista. I got this laptop for over a year now and this is the second time I get this. The message also says I cannot activate it over the internet, I have to call MS. Anyone else experiencing this? Do I have to call MS every 6 months and let my computer re-activate?

Thanks and best regards,

Tim
Options

1214 Posts

11-20-2007

Iowa, USA

1820 Signins

37095 Page Views

• Views: 37095
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: Vista Activation

2008-04-03, 23:44 PM
You shouldn't have to do that. Something is wrong with the Vista install.
Back up your data and restore the computer using the blue button at system startup.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
Options

5 Posts

04-03-2008

Germany

6 Signins

37 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2008-04-03, 23:52 PM
I got an Ubuntu on there too on Dual Boot that I use for my work - won't it get screwed up by the Rescue&Recovery? And since the last ThinkVantage update, the blue button doesn't work no more under Vista (giving me two error messages ;) - so I hope it'll still do the job in the recovery mode!

Thanks for the help!

Best regards,

Tim
Options

276 Posts

02-04-2008

Canada

536 Signins

14076 Page Views

• Views: 14076
  • Message 4 of 8

2008-04-04, 2:57 AM
There are ways to retain the R&R partition active even by installing Linux/BSD or other OS's.  First thing to keep in mind when installing Linux on a pre-installed (factory installed) system is to resize the partition on which the factory installed partition resides, but leave the hidden partition in place (sometimes at the beginning of the drive sometimes at the end of the drive).

Then once additional paritions are created (space for Linux/BSD), then it's essential to install the Linux/BSD bootloader (GRUB) in the /boot partition of your Linux/BSD installation instead of the MBR and then use Windows Vista/XP bootloader instead (best to use EasyBCD if you wish to modify the Vista bootloader - it's trickier than XP's bootloader, which only looks for bin files).  There is ample documentation available on the precise procedures for this floating around on the internet. Use "google linux" search for "dualboot keep thinkvantage".

Using the above method the best part is you never lose the ThinkVantage button functionality.

If you did install the Linux/BSD bootloader in the MBR, then you can manually add an entry in GRUB pointing to the hidden R&R partition as a work-around. You will not be able to access the R&R partition using the ThinkVantage button, but you will be able to access it from GRUB (LILO) bootloader.

Depending on what you use the R&R for, it shouldn't affect your Linux installation. R&R contains many diagnostic programs as well as a "restore" feature. You can be certain, however, that should you choose "restore", then you will lose your Linux installation completely.

As for the activation reminder for Vista, there seems to be an issue with one of the VIsta updates that *may* be the cause of this. I don't have the URL to Microsoft's explanation of this, once I find it I'll append the link to this post.

Regardless, you shouldn't have a problem calling Microsoft and requesting an activation code. It's happened to me in the past. Explained what I did (wrong - oops.. heehee) and they supplied me with an activation code.

Hope this helps.

Message Edited by icantux on 04-03-2008 11:02 PM
Options

5 Posts

04-03-2008

Germany

6 Signins

37 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2008-04-04, 7:51 AM
First of all: thanks for all the help, I really appreciate that.

Well, Grub is installed on the place it wanted itself to be, so I guess I gotta manually insert a boot-statement there somehow (thanks for that hint!)

When I hit the blue ThinkVantage button during BIOS startup, I only get the following options:

• "ESC" to resume with starting
  • F1 to enter BIOS setup utility
  • F12 to choose a temporary start device

F12 does not give me an option to choose a 'rescue partition' or whatever. So I went and created the 'Recovery Media' through Windows. This tool gives you two types of media you can create: First one is one DVD for the 'Rescue & Recovery' tools which I created sucessfully. Second seems to be the actual Windows install disks. When I tried to create these, the application hang (with 'is not responding') and after waiting for like 1.5 hours, I killed the application. Bad idea! Now that second option is grayed out, as I already created a set of recovery media for windows *sighs

So will I be able to re-install with that first disk ('ThinkVantage - Rescue&Recovery')? Will I be able to ever get a second chance for those recovery disks? And how does that famous 'One Click Recovery' work (or did I kill that with the install of Grub and I now only get those BIOS options)?

Thanks again and best regards,

Tim

Message Edited by Timmah on 04-04-2008 12:52 AM
Options

1214 Posts

11-20-2007

Iowa, USA

1820 Signins

37095 Page Views

• Views: 37095
  • Message 6 of 8

2008-04-04, 11:38 AM
If you call Lenovo and tell them that you tried to create the recovery discs and it failed they should send you a set for free.
If you can get GRUB to boot you into Rescue and Recovery you will be able to reinstall Vista without disturbing Linux. If you run the restore discs it will wipe out your Linux install. The blue button won't work with GRUB installed but R&R should be a choice in GRUB. The answer is in your /boot/grub/menu.lst file. I have Linux on my T60 too. Maybe I can help.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
Options

4328 Posts

12-02-2007

United States of America

9163 Signins

199673 Page Views

• Views: 199673
  • Message 7 of 8

2008-04-09, 6:11 AM
Hello,

Usually installations of Microsoft Windows Vista installed by the manufacturer (i.e., Lenovo) do not require re-activation.   Did your ThinkPad T60 come with Microsoft Windows Vista Business Edition pre-installed, or was it installed afterwards?  Also, have you made any changes to the ThinkPad's hardware recently, such as replacing the memory, disk drive or mini-PCI cards?  As I understand it, Microsoft Windows keeps track of some of the less-frequently-changed parts of a computer, and when enough of them change over a certain period of time, a reactivation is requested.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP50 (20EN-*)P51sP72 (20MB-*)P43sS230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)X1e gen3X1 Yoga gen 5X12 gen1X13 gen1Yoga 370

Communities: English Deutsche Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Język Polski Moto English

Need an answer, fast? Try using Browser Search to find it in the Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

5 Posts

04-03-2008

Germany

6 Signins

37 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2008-04-09, 8:00 AM
It came pre-installed. But I think when I installed a debian next to it, I had to change something with the Harddisk-mode in the BIOS that made Vista re-detect the HD. This might have caused the problem IMO. I don't have a problem with re-activating, the annoying thing is that it cannot be done through the internet and it pops up something like every 6 months.

I called them again and re-activated, running fine so far...
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms