US

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 2

Wiping data question before selling

2020-07-24, 13:28 PM

Hello all,

I have an r61e that I have done a full restore on using the thinkvantage button on boot, so it now has a clean windows xp install. I'd just like to confirm that all my personal data is completely gone from the computer before I sell it, so that there is no way of using a program to recover it or anything like that. Does the full restore take care of that? Many thanks for your help.

Michael.

Options

3376 Posts

12-22-2008

CA

12380 Signins

178380 Page Views

• Views: 178380
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:Wiping data question before selling

2020-07-24, 14:48 PM

@ mmartin123 wrote:

Hello all,

I have an r61e that I have done a full restore on using the thinkvantage button on boot, so it now has a clean windows xp install. I'd just like to confirm that all my personal data is completely gone from the computer before I sell it, so that there is no way of using a program to recover it or anything like that. Does the full restore take care of that? Many thanks for your help.

Michael.

Welcome to the forum.

I don't recall exactly what a WinXP clean install includes. I imagine that even if it did a format, it was a so-called "quick" format. That doesn't fully wipe out the data on your drive, so yes someone using data recovery tools could find fragments of your old data. If you want to fully wipe out all data on the drive you'll need to run a tool that does this, e.g. Darik's Boot and Nuke, then reinstall WinXP again.

Using Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete