Options

7 Posts

01-07-2009

houston

8 Signins

71 Page Views

• Views: 71
  • Message 1 of 9

t61 video driver and thinkvantage recovery disk.

2009-01-07, 18:23 PM

hi everyone...my laptop is a  t61 and the gpu is 140M

when i try to do a factory recovery a fewdays ago, the screen went blank...

so i could not get anything on the lcd butit works on external, and the restore files seems to be bad on the harddrive.

and i did not back up onto the cd. 

so i did a downgrade from the factory vistato xp yesterday. 

i was having trouble to get the video carddriver to work. i will crash when i installed.

but i did get the driver to work lastnight...and everything seems good last night, and the screen came back on..

but this morning it is gone again..when iconnect to external monitorsit can not get into windows and have the bluescreen and it says thisin the following:

a problem has been detected and windows hasbeen shut down to preventdamage of the computer. The problem seems to be causedby the followingfile: nv4_disp

technical information:

stop: 0x000000EA (0x8929A840, 0x896E2160,0XBACF7CBC, 0x00000001)

thats what it mostly said in the blue page,and it reboot.

i can get into safe mode though..when i get in safe mode and do a rollback to the save point to when i did not installed the video driver, then it would work...

i do not know if it is the driver conflictbetween the harwares, or maybe the video card is broking.

because i downgraded to xp...so i don'tknow that's why it cause theproblem between the harwares, or maybe it is justthe video card isbroken.

so i am wondering if i order a factoryrecovery disk from lenovo and try to get it back to the factory form will itwork??

the ones on my harddrive seems to bedamaged. i did restore to factorytwo times before i downgrade to xp and it didnot work ....

so please guys, let me know if my harddrivecan go back to factory formby ordering the disks before i order the disk fromlenovo, because itcost like 50 bucks.

thanks all..

Options

287 Posts

11-26-2007

Raleigh, NC

580 Signins

11432 Page Views

• Views: 11432
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: t61 video driver and thinkvantage recovery disk.

2009-01-07, 18:39 PM

Hello madugo,

From your post it definitely sounds like a driver problem. What I'm not clear about is if you used the Windows XP recovery disks or you did a clean install of XP from your own software? Most of the time a factory recovery wouldn't have driver issues out of the box, but stranger things have happened.

Have you called Support to get their opinion on next steps? I'm sure you could fix your driver issue with some time and effort, but if there is a problem with the factory XP preload then I think they could assist you. The number you need would be 1-800-426-7378.

-----------------------------------
Tim Supples
Lenovo Social Media

Got a question? Don't PM me, post it on the forum!
Lenovo Blogs
X60 Tablet SXGA+ primary, Z61p fully loaded workhorse
Options

7 Posts

01-07-2009

houston

8 Signins

71 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2009-01-07, 18:53 PM

when it come out of the factory it was vista...

i did a clean installed xp because i had no choose.

what i am wondering now is if i can go back to the factory vista now by order a recovery disk from them and installed it?

thank you for your reply~ 

Message Edited by madugo on 01-07-2009 10:53 AM
Options

287 Posts

11-26-2007

Raleigh, NC

580 Signins

11432 Page Views

• Views: 11432
  • Message 4 of 9

2009-01-07, 18:55 PM
Madugo - you can certainly recover back to Vista with a working set of recovery disks. I would call Support and explain what happened. They should be able to help you out!
-----------------------------------
Tim Supples
Lenovo Social Media

Got a question? Don't PM me, post it on the forum!
Lenovo Blogs
X60 Tablet SXGA+ primary, Z61p fully loaded workhorse
Options

7 Posts

01-07-2009

houston

8 Signins

71 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2009-01-07, 19:08 PM

i called them they said it will work...i will cross my fingers and hope they will be working when i got the disk...

Options

7 Posts

01-07-2009

houston

8 Signins

71 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2009-01-09, 16:07 PM

here is the situation now....

i got the disks yesterday and try to do a factory restore with a external monitor. (the lcd wont work)

and it went just fine, untill when it get to the stage which is installing preinstalled software i think??

it is in the windows and says installing dowork.xxx something like that...

and suddenly it just blank screen again...and looks like it is doing nothing, the hard drive light is not on...

but the wifi and the blue tooth is on...

so i waited for almost 3 hours, and it was still like that...

so i turn it off by the power button, and when i turn on, when it pass the loading bar page, it can not get into windows. 

it will just give a blank screen, and after awhile it will reboot by itself.

i tried safemode, and when i get into safemode, it will pop up a message says can not finish installation in safe more, please enter windows from normal mode. but the normal mode does not work...

this is driving me so crazy now...

i dont know what could be the problem?? could it be the harddrive??or maybe the video card?

Options

7 Posts

01-07-2009

houston

8 Signins

71 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2009-01-09, 16:24 PM

now when i turn it on it go into blue screen and says below:

*** hardware malfunction

call your hardware vendor for support

NMI: parity check /memory parity error

*** the syatem has halted***

Options

12 Posts

01-27-2009

London

18 Signins

163 Page Views

• Views: 163
  • Message 8 of 9

2009-01-28, 17:04 PM

hi I have got the exact same problem you described. I have always had window xp pro and in my case the problem started on its own. I searched online for NV4_disp error and turns out a lot of people have had it. Its to do with windows automatic updator conflicting with nvidia card drivers. Anyway a lot of people suggested just completely uninstalling the graphic card driver and and reinstalling it. i have not tried it yet. have u managed to fix the problem? If so can you please give me pointers?

Incase u are wonering i have a 2.0 ghz lenovo t61 with 2gb ram and has has always been running xp pro

thanks

Options

16 Posts

07-13-2008

Texas

16 Signins

140 Page Views

• Views: 140
  • Message 9 of 9

2009-01-29, 1:42 AM

I've already done this dance with Lenovo and they don't deem to know what the problem is at all. I'm going to tell you the solution though: don't buy from Lenovo again because they don't care about their customers. They don't upgrade their video drivers, which is indeed the problem with your system, and they also don't offer you any beneficient advice on how to solve the problem. Hopefully, though, you will be helped, unlike me, and your comp will start working right. I've been in this dance for about 5 months now and if you don't believe me you should look up my original post to this problem because it outlines all of the symptoms you've been describing. Thanks Lenovo for dropping the ball with this computer.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete