01-13-2021

US

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 6

thinkpad t470 screen repair - is it worth it

2021-01-13, 16:25 PM

Hello there, My wife's old laptop (2-3 years old - no warrenty) screen is toast. The edges were cracked from falls over the past couple years and it would cause the screen to flicker or glitch out - which would only reset after laptop was closed and opened again (weird?)

However, after another fall, it appears to not work at all anymore - despite resets, opening closing the lid, and electrical tape over the corners.

At this point, I think theres a chance I might be savy enough to fix it, but If theres a high error rate or a likelihood something else is broken/ too expensive, it might not be worth doing.

Just curious to hear your thoughts ,and where I can find a replacement screen

Moderator comment: Moved to the proper forum. (NateS)

Options

3 Posts

01-13-2021

US

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 2 of 6

thinkpad t470 screen repair - is it worth it

2021-01-13, 16:33 PM
I'm also looking on amazon and the likes, it seems you can get a somewhat cheap screen - but i'm unsure about the quality? Is it worth replacing on a 2-3 year old computer or am I chasing bad money
Options

5983 Posts

06-27-2008

US

28696 Signins

1642668 Page Views

• Views: 1642668
  • Message 3 of 6

Re:thinkpad t470 screen repair - is it worth it

2021-01-13, 20:15 PM

@ smink wrote:

I' also looking on amazon and the likes, it seems you can get a somewhat cheap screen - but i' unsure about the quality? Is it worth replacing on a 2-3 year old computer or am I chasing bad money

Welcome to the community.

You might want to prowl the auction sites to look for an inexpensive donor T470 with a dead system board or other damage, but with an intact LCD/total lid assembly. Much easier to replace that then to pull apart the lid to replace just the panel.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

3 Posts

01-13-2021

US

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2021-01-13, 20:52 PM
Thank you for that! Do you know of any videos showing how to to the total lid assembly, I searched but didn't find any, i'll keep looking. I'm not the most savy when it comes to repairing electronics, so just want to make sure I can likely do the fix before I spend the money, She only does light browsing, so might consider a cheap chromebook or something if this ends up being expensive/out of my comfort zone
Options

5983 Posts

06-27-2008

US

28696 Signins

1642668 Page Views

• Views: 1642668
  • Message 5 of 6

2021-01-17, 17:57 PM

@ smink wrote:

Thank you for that! Do you know of any videos showing how to to the total lid assembly, I searched but didn' find any, i' keep looking.I' not the most savy when it comes to repairing electronics, so just want to make sure I can likely do the fix before I spend the money, She only does light browsing, so might consider a cheap chromebook or something if this ends up being expensive/out of my comfort zone

Apologies for the delay... I thought I had replied.

Have a look at pgs 93-95 of the hardware manual: https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t470_hmm_en_sp40m11890_03.pdf

It looks straightforward, but much care needs to be taken when disconnecting the leads shown on page 93, as they are delicate.

If you're not comfortable working inside these kinds of machines, it's best to have a servicer do it. You might find one to do the work, if you source the donor machine.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

8 Posts

12-27-2020

US

4 Signins

65 Page Views

• Views: 65
  • Message 6 of 6

2021-01-18, 0:56 AM

1) Search YouTube for repair / replacement for the T470. Most you can follow along, and pause when you need to. but be careful removing the LCD Bezel. 

2) Search eBay for used LCD screens for that model, usually a used one will work. Don't buy on Amazon as their prices are twice as much.

** It's best to remove the screen first to get the Lenovo FRU or the manufacturer part number, that way you know a different screen will work. And the T470 series came with both touch or non-touch screens, so be careful to get the right one.

3) Sometimes you can find the entire LCD/screen/lid assembly for about the same $ as the LCD itself.  Just be sure to read the description so you don't get scammed.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms