Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eppie
Punch Card
Views: 1,158
Message 1 of 6

1808 ERROR : miniPCI unauthorised network card

Help please!

Just bought this weekend my refurbished Thinkpad T61 Core 2 Duo T7100.

Came home with it and installed software which I needed to work with. Thru Thinkvantage I made a system update and also....bios update ( why I did it???). After it installed any updates it automatically booted, and than the error code appeared.

To remove the PCI card means I have to unistall the network card and will have no access to internet.

Any suggestions?

PoPSiCLe
Greps Everything
Views: 1,152
Message 2 of 6

Re: 1808 ERROR : miniPCI unauthorised network card

Update your BIOS again, to a modified Thinkpad T61 BIOS without the whitelist for which network cards it accepts. Google "modified Thinkpad T61 bios" to find it.

You probably couldn't have known, but the stock BIOS have a whitelist for which network-cards it accepts, and if you have a custom network-card, you won't be able to use that with a stock BIOS.

But a quick update of the BIOS, to a modified version, will take care of the problem.

For future reference, if something works, don't upgrade it Smiley Wink

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IT-technician, running my own company in Bergen, Norway
Thinkpad T61, 8895CTO C2D 2Ghz/4GB/120GB SSD/1400x1050
Eppie
Punch Card
Views: 1,136
Message 3 of 6

Thank you very much for your help mate.

Will let you know if its going to help to update the bios without the whitelist.

Regards

Eppie

Eppie
Punch Card
Views: 1,104
Message 4 of 6

Hi Popsicle,

Again thanks your for your help.

I have passed on your information and suggestion to a local IT service center and they were able to install the bios (the original) back again. However my T61 kept on with the message or is not able to read the mini PCI network card.

They have done most everyting but the T61 simply can not read the card or whatsoever.

It seem I have to return it back to the store where I have buyed this T6 - as I have still 3 months of garantuee.

Dont know if they can solve the problem and otherwise this laptop can be stacked on a pile of used iron (...)

Maybe any other suggestion?

Many thanks for you help.

PoPSiCLe
Greps Everything
Views: 1,101
Message 5 of 6

If they haven't been able to fix it, they don't know what they're doing.

If you install a modified BIOS, you'll not receive the error, simply because the whitelist (the allowed wifi-cards) aren't there at all.

Have a look here:

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=55837

You should be able to reflash the BIOS yourself, or at least tell the IT-service tech where to look.

I know it works, because as I said, I'm running a custom wifi-card in my own T61, abgn-card, capable of higher speeds, which works fine, but isn't on the Thinkpad whitelist.

The proof is also in the fact that your computer worked fine before you updated the BIOS - which means you were probably running a custom BIOS, and then flashed a standard BIOS over it, hence putting the whitelist back in play.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IT-technician, running my own company in Bergen, Norway
Thinkpad T61, 8895CTO C2D 2Ghz/4GB/120GB SSD/1400x1050
Eppie
Punch Card
Views: 1,083
Message 6 of 6

Anything else but hardware i'm able to fixed it. So I already made a mistake with bios so I will not get burned twice.

But I have to solve this as your solution mus work.

I'll get you updated. And thanks for the link you gave me. It really convinced me.

Cheers

Moderator edit: Removed language missed by bleeper.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors