Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cathcam
Fanfold Paper
Views: 20,440
Message 1 of 27

2504 Advanced Mini-dock and Thinkpad T61

I have a 2504 Advanced mini-dock in the office and it works fine.

I've bought another 2504 FRU 41W6563 for home. It only seems to part work though. When you put the machine in the dock the power supply is detected from the mini-dock, but nothing else seems to work, especially the USB ports, even if I shutdown Windows, and reboot.

With the switch in the unlocked position, there is no green light, when you switch it to locked, the red light comes on.

I'm confused if this is the right mini-dock - Can anyone help or suggest anything?

My Thinkpad is a T61, 7659-A71
esmail
Punch Card
Views: 20,422
Message 2 of 27

Re: 2504 Advanced Mini-dock and Thinkpad T61

Hi

I don't have a solution, but a similar problem. I wish there was some real documentation for this piece of hardware.

I am using the advanced mini-dock with my new T61 (14.1" with the integrated graphics card) and it's all hit-and-miss.

Undocking the laptop seems to provide no problems, but getting it to dock really is hit and miss. More often than not it doesn't seem to work.

The display setting won't switch, and I can't get to the display manager or if I can it shows only the default setting as the choice. Most of the time the display on my T61 is blank too.

I have it set up so that it's supposed to switch to the external DVI monitor at 1280x1024. When it works it work beautifully, but the fact that it doesn't makes me use the docking station less often
that I would

Are there some do's and don'ts or a FAQ regaring the use of the docking station? The only instructions that came with it was one sheet of drawings. I looked on the lenovo site for more instructions but didn't find any.

What is the purpose of the power switch on the dock? I can't tell when it's on or off (or if it even does something). Ie when the T61 isn't docked, I don't see anything if I push the power button on the dock.

I really like the idea of the docking station, I just wish it would work better for me.

Does the system have to be up and running if it's docked? Do I have to be logged in? Can I have a wireless USB mouse attached to the T61 when I dock it?

Is there a problem with the display manager software that make the automatic mode switching problematic?

EB

PS: New one, the cabled USB mouse isn't working when attached to the docking station, but works when directly attached to the T61. This has worked in the past. The external keyboard is working fine though ... odd
cathcam
Fanfold Paper
Views: 20,409
Message 3 of 27

I am able to use the external display through the mini-dock as a Windows Extended desktop as well as the ethernet port and the headphone/line out socket, I suspect all these are hard wired through the mini-dock and into the connector, so don;t require any special enablement.

The same isn't true for the USB ports in the mini-dock, since the mini-dock doesn't recognise the Thinkpad is attached, no green light next to the >1 the **bleep** doesn't enable them.

I personally think this is a dock hardware problem...
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 20,392
Message 4 of 27

Cathcam,

Does the system mechanically latch to the dock? Just wondering it's not fully seated.
cathcam
Fanfold Paper
Views: 20,374
Message 5 of 27

Ken, yes it appears to. For all purpose the dock seems to work. Except none of the lights on the panel of the dock come on, except if you lock with the key then the red padlock is lit and the USB ports don't work. Pressing the silver button on 1 does nothing, pressing the physical eject button does work.
esmail
Punch Card
Views: 20,261
Message 6 of 27

Except none of the lights on the panel of the dock come on, except if you lock with the key then the red padlock is lit and the USB ports don't work. Pressing the silver button on 1 does nothing, pressing the physical eject button does work.

The key light works for me, but that doesn't seem to affect any of the functionality of the dock.

Pressing the narrow silver button makes the green light next to it flash while it's undocking and when it's done doing that the red light below it (for the undock botton) either goes out or turns right (don't remember for sure). So it does sound as your dock might have some hardware problems. (I seem to have read that it might be better to use the Window's menu "undock" button rather than the physical one)

FWIW, my dock is working fine today, all USB buttons active etc.

What I don't know (aside from getting this to work consistently) is the purpose of the power button on the dock. Pressing it doesn't seem to make a difference, nor do I have any indication that anything happens (ie no light/indicators change).

Again, it would be nice if there was some useful documentation on the docking station. I got a long writeup about "safety" with obvious things such as not operating it under water :-) or dropping it etc .. instructions about using it properly and all the various features/functions would have been more useful.

RealBlackStuff
Token Ring
Views: 20,247
Message 7 of 27

The only info I could find is contained in this PDF file
It's an explanation of sorts, perhaps it helps?
cathcam
Fanfold Paper
Views: 20,236
Message 8 of 27

RealBlackStuff thanks, but that PDF is for the older T4x style docks.

I'm fortunate enough to have two of the T6x style mini-docks, one works perfectly the other is defective and I'm going to send it back. Pressing the Power button on the working one, signals Windows and it shuts down and powers off. When you press it again it powers on the Thinkpad.

We've tried another working T61 with the defective dock and it had identical problems.
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 20,229
Message 9 of 27

If it is still under warranty, then sure, your best bet is to get a replacement.
cathcam
Fanfold Paper
Views: 20,227
Message 10 of 27

Sadly it was an ebay purchase for home. I'll write it off the postage costs assuming I can get the purchase price back the from the seller or PayPal.

Message Edited by cathcam on 02-01-2008 11:18 AM

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals