Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thomasrwahl
Paper Tape
Views: 2,374
Message 1 of 8

600 and 600e modem problem, and BIOS update

I hope I can find the answers to my 600 and 600e problems here. I've looked over the whole community and can't find the answer to my problems.

BIOS Problem:  For some reason I can't update the bios on either machine. I am upgrading from 98 to 2000. I believe I need spsdib54 as a BIOS update. I find IBM laptops rather difficult to update. I have worked on a few computers in my day, but never IBM until now, and the learning curve is hell. I have a floppy drive but can't get the laptop to allow the spsdib54 file to open. I get a remove media message and then hit any key to continue. I'm lost here.and theIBM instructions are no help

MODEM Problem. I am trying to use AOL dialup. I install 2000, and can test my modem on both machines. I install AOL with no problems. Both laptops will dial out and get the correct Phone numbers. When I let AOL use smart connect and try to proceed, I loose all modem activity, and can't get it back even with the Modem upgrade which I have done. ....help 

TPUSR
Paper Tape
Views: 2,292
Message 2 of 8

Re: 600 and 600e modem problem, and BIOS update

@Thomasrwahl wrote:

I hope I can find the answers to my 600 and 600e problems here. I've looked over the whole community and can't find the answer to my problems.

BIOS Problem:  For some reason I can't update the bios on either machine. I am upgrading from 98 to 2000. I believe I need spsdib54 as a BIOS update. I find IBM laptops rather difficult to update. I have worked on a few computers in my day, but never IBM until now, and the learning curve is hell. I have a floppy drive but can't get the laptop to allow the spsdib54 file to open. I get a remove media message and then hit any key to continue. I'm lost here.and theIBM instructions are no help

I. Create a System Program Service Diskette:

• Download spsdib54.exe (TP 600E: spsdih47.exe or spsdin36.exe - find out here) to your desktop.
  • Insert a high density floppy disk into the diskette drive.
  • Double-click the downloaded exe and follow the instructions on the screen.

II. Follow the "Installation Instructions" in spsdib54.txt to update the BIOS:

Installation Instructions
------------------------------
Notes: - You need an AC adapter and a charged battery pack to update
              the system program.

- If your computer is attached to any kinds of Docking station
              or port replicator, turn off the computer and detach it
              before proceeding.

- Make sure the SPSD diskette is write protected.

1.  Print these instructions or display on another computer.
2.  Firmly connect the AC adapter to the computer.
3.  Insert the System Program Service Diskette into the diskette drive
     and turn on the computer.
4.  Select Read this first from the menu and carefully read the
     information that appears.
5.  Press the Esc key to return to the menu.
6.  Select Update system program and follow the instruction on
     the screen.

Warning: Do not turn off or suspend the computer until the update
                    has been completed. IF YOU TURN OFF OR SUSPEND THE
                    COMPUTER WHILE THE UPDATE IS STILL IN PROGRESS, THE
                    SYSTEM BOARD MAY HAVE TO BE REPLACED.

After the update has been completed, do the following to make the
changes effective.

7.   Make sure the System Program Service Diskette is removed from
      the diskette drive, then turn off the computer.
8.   Press and hold the F1 key, then turn on the computer. Hold the F1
      key until the Easy-Setup menu appears.
9.   If a password prompt appears, type the correct password.
10. Select Config, then select Initialize.
11. Select OK to initialize the system.

Run the diagnostics to make sure that the computer runs with no
errors:

12. Turn off the computer, press and hold the F1 key, then turn on
       the computer. Hold the F1 key until the Easy-Setup menu appears.
13. Select Test, then select Start to run all the basic tests.
      Various test patterns will appear on the screen.
      An OK will appear for each device that passes the test.
14. Verify that OK appears for all of the devices tested.
15. Press the Esc key to exit Test and turn off the computer.

Thomasrwahl
Paper Tape
Views: 2,284
Message 3 of 8

First, Thanks TPUSR for your help. I downloaded the bios file for the 600 to my HP laptop, and copied it to a floppy. I insert the floppy into the floppy drive connected to the 600. I turn on the 600 and get a message that says "Remove discs or other media Press any key to restart" Thats as far as I can get.
TPUSR
Paper Tape
Views: 2,277
Message 4 of 8

@Thomasrwahl wrote:
First, Thanks TPUSR for your help. I downloaded the bios file for the 600 to my HP laptop, and copied it to a floppy. I insert the floppy into the floppy drive connected to the 600. I turn on the 600 and get a message that says "Remove discs or other media Press any key to restart" Thats as far as I can get.

To create the System Program Service Diskette (= bootable Diskette to update the BIOS on your TP 600) you first have to execute the downloaded spsdib54.exe on your HP laptop.

Thomasrwahl
Paper Tape
Views: 2,254
Message 5 of 8

After I did all that you said I got a NTLDR is missing message and could not continue with the bios update
TPUSR
Paper Tape
Views: 2,235
Message 6 of 8

@Thomasrwahl wrote:
After I did all that you said I got a NTLDR is missing message and could not continue with the bios update

I think you will have to change the boot order.

Press F1 and Power on your ThinkPad to enter Easy Setup

1. Start up
  2. Power-on
  3. Reset
  4. Choose FDD-1
  5. Choose HDD-1
  6. OK
  7. Exit
  8. Restart
  9. OK

After that you should be able to update the BIOS. If you still get a NTLDR is missing message after updating the BIOS see the following article: How to troubleshoot the "NTLDR Is Missing" error message in Windows 2000

Thomasrwahl
Paper Tape
Views: 2,200
Message 7 of 8

I did a search on my HP for the NTLDR file. Found it no problem. Did a search on the thinkpad. No NTLDR file found. Guess that says it. I intend to wipe my HD, and reinstall 98se. So all necessary updates for 2000, then install 2000. Thanks for all the help. Now I think I know whats going on with the laptops and why I can't update anything
Thomasrwahl
Paper Tape
Views: 2,145
Message 8 of 8

OK, I finally was able to update the bios on the 600 without going back to 98. I had to tell the the computer that it needed to use drive b instead of A. The update was extracted and the bios was updated. I was able to completely install 2000 with sp4 and do all the necessary updates from Microsoft. I still have a problem with aol and the modem though. I did do the modem update before trying aol, but it didn't help. I still have a modem internal failure. I did install my high speed dsl connection, and it worked just fine. There are at least 2 viruses that are installed when I install 2000. They are trojans that mimic part of the system 32 file system. When I run the malicous software removal tool from microsoft something is removed, and the laptop seems to work ok. After I have everything working really well, I download and install AVG free. AVG detects more of the same trojans, puts them in the virus vault, then the whole system crashes, and 2000 needs to be reinstalled from scratch. It can't be repaired. I had it all working except for the modem, and it all went south on me. back to square one. Any help would be really appreciated

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors