10-01-2008

North America

11 Signins

58 Page Views

• Views: 58
  • Message 1 of 13

A very specific question about Intel 4965AGN wireless card power settings

2008-10-01, 15:26 PM

As many others, I found that my new out of the box T61 was unable to connect to wireless routers.  After some troubleshooting, I found the problem was the power management property for the wireless card was set to low.

I have my laptop power settings set to maximum performance both on the battery and when plugged in.

Still, every time I reboot or come out of standby, I find I can't connect to the internet and when I go to the device manager and check, I find that the Power Management property is set back to low for my Intel 4965AGN wireless card.  This happens with the "use default value" unchecked and also with it checked.  The transmit power property always stays on high though.

So, yes, I can get the wireless working by manually changing this every time I start up or come out of standby, but how do I force the power management property to stay on a high setting and not keep resetting to low?  What other software has the power to keep resetting this value, and can I stop it?

I am currently using the Thinkvantage Power Manager, but I have uninstalled the Access Connections software as I found it to be entirely too frustrating for my use.  (perhaps part of that early experienced frustration was due to this power management issue)  I manage my wireless networks using XP network connections. 

I've had my laptop for about 4 days now.  I absolutely love it, but this and a few other hardware issues continue to plague my computer.

I have already updated to the most recent Intel driver for this device. 

Help would be greatly appreciated. 

Regards,

Chris. 

Solved! See the solution
Options

45 Posts

01-14-2009

GR

92 Signins

991 Page Views

• Views: 991
  • Message 2 of 13

Re: A very specific question about Intel 4965AGN wireless card power settings

2009-01-26, 15:59 PM

Dear friend,

i have EXACTLY the same problem with dropping the power settings to low.

Whenever this happens (even when i  am working normally - no suspend or sleep mode) i loose internet

and the only way to get back wireless is by restarting.

Is there ANY solution for this?

New drivers? Something? Does lenovo know about this so us to give us an answer?

T460p i7-6820HQ-16GB-500GB SSD
Options

3 Posts

10-01-2008

North America

11 Signins

58 Page Views

• Message 3 of 13

2009-01-26, 17:13 PM

I found a great solution in the form of a software package that Intel makes to manage your network connections instead of the Windows or Lenovo software (bothof which are poorly done).

Go to:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx?lang=eng

Enter your wireless card type (mine is 4965AGN) and search.  Look for "IT Administrators - Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility for Windows* XP and Windows Vista*" for your card.  Download and install.  it fully supports the Intel wifi cards as apposed to the windows and Lenovo software which does not support the Intel powersaving correctly.

I pasted the download link for my wirelesss card below:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&Inst=Yes&ProductID=2753&DwnldID=17233&strOSs=44&OSFullName=Windows*%20XP%20Professional〈=eng 

Best of luck.  the Intel software works great!!

-Chris. 

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

151 Posts

12-17-2008

canada

300 Signins

2205 Page Views

• Views: 2205
  • Message 4 of 13

2009-01-26, 17:27 PM
how to put this nicely... ime, most of the thinkvantage utilities are junk, full of bugs, aesthetically ugly, waste system resources and often conflict with windows' native ability to manage the hardware.  in other words, uninstall what you don't need.  except for the fingerprint reader and hdd active protection, NONE of the TV utilities are required for the thinkpad to run perfectly fine... and usually much better without them too!

as to your wireless/power management issue, perhaps your settings are being modified by the TV power manager utility?  btw, windows' built-in power management features are quite capable of managing all aspects of the underlying hardware, so the TV PM utility is redundant at best.

if i were you, i'd first download the latest software & drivers for Intel 4965agn and possibly the PROSet WiFi software if you'd like a few more tweakable settings, although PROSet is not required.

i'd suggest uninstalling all of the thinkvantage junk (except for the biometry and hdd aps software, assuming your system has those features).  then uninstall the 4965 driver completely (via windows device manager, right-click on the 4965 under network adapters, select Uninstall driver and remove/delete the old driver files from your system when prompted.  then run the 4965 driver package that you downloaded from intel to install the new 4965 driver (or instead, like i do, extract the driver files to an archive/folder of device drivers on your system and install the driver via the device manager, which imo, is the preferred method for properly installing drivers).

you might also consider the latest driver/proset software for the wired network adapter also.  proset for the wired nic adds several new properties configuration tabs to the 82566MM ethernet adapter, whereby the user can fine-tune the power management (and many other) settings.

and just say NO to ThinkVantage
Options

45 Posts

01-14-2009

GR

92 Signins

991 Page Views

• Message 5 of 13

2009-01-26, 17:33 PM

Dear friend,

i like the way that the interface of access connections is.

This software from Intel (before i install, etc) does it provide the same level of usefulness?

I am travelling a lot and have dozens of settings inside so i change all the time.

If it is to manually putting IPs, DNS, etc i will go nuts.

Regards

Options

151 Posts

12-17-2008

canada

300 Signins

2205 Page Views

• Message 6 of 13

2009-01-26, 17:51 PM
dear sir... ime, Windows (XP or Vista) is perfectly capable of managing any/all network connections (via the Network Connections control panel applet).  personally, i see no need for TVAC, nor any of the useless/wasteful thinkvantage utilities, but ymmv.  if you prefer what TVAC has to offer and your system is working fine now... i wouldn't advise you change a thing.  you know the drill, if it aint broke...
Options

3 Posts

10-01-2008

North America

11 Signins

58 Page Views

• Message 7 of 13

2009-01-26, 18:53 PM

The user interface of Intel's Proset Wireless software is very similar to the standard XP interface.  While it has a few more features, the interface is no more complicated than the standard XP interface.  It would be no challenge for any user to figure out.

I can positively say that it was the fix for the wireless card power issue.  I removed access connections, updated drivers, and went back to the Xp interface and still had the bug.  I have never had an issue since using Intel Proset. 

As for Access Connections, the interface is very different from the other two.  I found this to be highly annoying.  Access Connections assumes that you have different locations such as home, work, school.  It then assumes you want different default printer settings, different power settings, etc for each location that you take your laptop.  It identifies a location by the wifi  networks it sees.    This is great for someone that only connects to 2 or 3 networks.  It is excessivly teadious though if there are any one of 5 or 10 posible wireless networks that you might be connected to at work or school (my case).  I like the Intel/Xp method where you can connect to any network without it attempting to change your print and power settings on a network by network basis.

Why configure a unique power scheme and print settings for the 10 minutes you are checking your email at Starbucks?

I'd much prefer Proset to Access Connections, especially when I am travelling. 

But like techcafe says, thinkvantage is about as troublesome as a virus.  Do yourself a favor and uninstall the thinkvantage utilities that you know you will never need.  I kept the same as techcafe, that is good advice. 

-Chris. 

Options

45 Posts

01-14-2009

GR

92 Signins

991 Page Views

• Message 8 of 13

2009-01-27, 19:14 PM

Ok guys, i know it is a matter of taste.

Also in AccessConnections you are not oblidged too to save settings for all. You can just connect and choose not to save settings, etc.

Now, i figured out what the hell is going on with this wireless card.

The problem is that somehow by itself it puts the Power Management settings back to Low.

When this happens, after a while, you are F up.

I have found a simple trick that allowed me to work with no problem at all:

Whenever i open the laptop, i just go to the Device Manager and change that Power Management setting to HIGH.

After some minutes i check it again and if it went Low i put it again High and this is it.

No problems after it even if you are on wifi for 15hours (like i am usually).

So, it costs me 20secs to do this when i open the laptop but it really works.

Now, i think the whole thing is some software problem either from the drivers OR from Access Connections.

Sooner or later i hope someone will solve it and i will get back my stolen 20secs.

Regards,

Options

94 Posts

12-07-2007

St Louis, Missouri

807 Signins

9985 Page Views

• Views: 9985
  • Message 9 of 13

2009-01-27, 21:48 PM

@Texxo,

If you are using AC 5.01 or 5.02 or earlier you might want to change to AC5.12 which seems to eliminate the Power control situation.  

T60: 6371-CTO, VISTA Home Premium+SP1, 2GB....R51: 1836-Q4U,XP,1GB...600...755CD
Options

151 Posts

12-17-2008

canada

300 Signins

2205 Page Views

• Message 10 of 13

2009-01-27, 23:47 PM

on a related note, although nothing to do with XP... in Vista, there is user-configurable Wireless Adapter Power Saving Mode (Power Options control panel applet, advanced power settings).  there are three power saving levels, plus a Maximum Performance setting, which should, in theory, prevent the wireless adapter from 'sleeping'... and quite possibly resolve the intermittent connection issues that some people seem to be experiencing.  this is also one of those behind-the-scenes settings that the TV Access Connections and/or TV Power Manager utilities messes around with, causing an abundance of consternation and grief for many a user who can't figure out why their wifi keeps dropping the connection.  this setting should probably be left on max performance (the default), but i haven't tested that myself.  in any case, it's probably best to allow Windows to have sole control over managing the hardware, power management, etc... otherwise conflicts and incompatibilities will invariably arise from the use of 3rd party utilities, like TVAC & TVPM, which are redundant and a waste of system resources, at best.

i'm just sayin...

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save