Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

08-12-2010

USA

2 Signins

12 Page Views

• Views: 12
  • Message 1 of 2

A20m battery dead, recharged, holds charge, won't complete boot- get lock symbol after bios chk

2010-08-12, 13:03 PM

This ThinkPad worked fine prior to getting tucked away in a closet.  After 1.5 years the battery was as expected -- dead.  I recharged the computer and the Thinkpad holds the charge fine. 

It will initiate the boot sequence, the blue screen comes up and it goes through bios check.  Then I get a black screen with a lock symbol...which I am guessing is in need of a password entry....the problem is I did not have a boot password set on this machine and never entered one prior to the battery going completely dead.

Now I can not get the computer to finish booting and loading Windows 98 and hence giving me access to the hard drive.  I tried booting from the CD drive but that didn't work either. I have a 3.5" drive but no boot floppy

Is there a solution to my problem if I have no idea what password this machine thinks it needs?

Options

7651 Posts

11-24-2007

USA

5818 Signins

103093 Page Views

• Views: 103093
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: A20m battery dead, recharged, holds charge, won't complete boot- get lock symbol after bios chk

2010-08-14, 4:20 AM

Welcome to the forum!

You're not going to like what I'm about to say...

Tucking the machine away obviously drained the CMOS (BIOS) battery along with the main one. When this happens, if the Supervisor password was set in the past - likely before you even got the machine - you'll be prompted to enter it with the lock symbol that you've seen.

There's no way around that maze, since password cracking techniques are not to be discussed on this forum.

Replacement motherboard is the way out, or getting a new laptop altogether.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms