cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArdmoreMom
Paper Tape
Views: 883
Message 1 of 3

A30 w/ATI Mobility Radeon graphics adapter- use Shader Model 2?

I have Windows XP sp3 on my A30. Trying to install something for my son, but it says it's unable to run because it requires a graphics card which supports Shader Model 2.

Are there new drivers that would work? ...or is it impossible for me to hope for this setup supporting Shader Model 2?

Thanks!!!

Guru
Views: 879
Message 2 of 3

Re: A30 w/ATI Mobility Radeon graphics adapter- use Shader Model 2?

Welcome to the forum!

ATi Radeon 7000 which was used in A30 units is *very* long in the tooth by today's standards and there's not much that can be done about its performance or lack thereof.

The "latest" driver is eight years old, according to IBM/Lenovo:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?DocID=DS024264

While these machines are still OK for light browsing and office use, the GPU remains their biggest bottleneck.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
ArdmoreMom
Paper Tape
Views: 875
Message 3 of 3

Re: A30 w/ATI Mobility Radeon graphics adapter- use Shader Model 2?

The driver you suggested is more recent than the one I'd installed from the support/downloads page for the A30. I've installed it now, & as suspected, still no Shader Model 2 support. Oh well... I am glad to have the most recent, anyway! Thanks so much for the help!!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals