Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MoJ
Punch Card
Views: 1,781
Message 1 of 6

A31P - Ultrabay swap CD/DVD with Floppy

Any problems associated with CD/DVD combo drive swapped to the left hand side of the laptop? Overheating issues?
Guru
Views: 1,765
Message 2 of 6

Re: A31P - Ultrabay swap CD/DVD with Floppy

Welcome to the forum!

No issues whatsoever. One of my machines has a combo on the left side and DVD burner on the right side. Runs no hotter than any of the others.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
MoJ
Punch Card
Views: 1,744
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the reply. I guess we have stumbled on a very unique circumstance. I can't seem to find anyone who has experienced this particular situation. We're finding significant failure rates with the A31p loading a Ghost image DVD (with an adhesive label) with the combo drive on the left side. Works most of the time with the combo drive on the right side. I've noticed the processor is on the left side, hence the overheating issue.
Guru
Views: 1,732
Message 4 of 6

The youngest A31p will be five years old by the end of 2008...blowing out the dust bunnies and re-applying AS on the heatsink will probably change the situation drastically...
Cheers,

George

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
MoJ
Punch Card
Views: 1,696
Message 5 of 6

Thanks George for the information. What I am really interested in is if anyone else has seen this problem. We are closing out an issue that our users experienced and would like to know if the community has seen anything similar.  We have 'solved' the problem basically with not using the adhesive labels any longer. In our testing, the Ghost load will work most of the time with the DVDs with labels with the combo drive on the right hand side. But when the combo drive is switched to the left hand side it fails.

Thanks,

Maureen

Guru
Views: 1,662
Message 6 of 6

What's more likely to be heating than the CPU (which I still say could use a cleaning after five years) is the graphic card that gets no active cooling in A31/p units, and can get very hot during video applications...this is, by and large, A31p's weakest spot and the reason for 95% of the motherboard failures on these machines...

I'd also suggest giving Acronis a shot...

Many people who still submit their A31p oldtimers to serious use are fond of ThinkPad Fan Control (versions 0.25/0.33) as well, to monitor and control the heating and fan issues:

http://www.staff.uni-marburg.de/~schmitzr/donate.html

Good luck. 

Cheers,

George

Top Kudoed Authors