Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stefangp
Punch Card
Views: 3,871
Message 1 of 12

Active Protection causes bizare hangs on T61p

Hi everyone,

Eversince I bought my T61p, I have been experiencing bizare hangs, usually when running on battery.The symptoms:

All hard disk activity ceases and programs start to hang one after another. The active protection icon is green (HDD is running) but I can't open the application itself. At some point everything freezes, including the mouse. The only way to recover is by powering off. No BSOD or event log entry. When powering on, the Intel Turbo memory reports an unexpected shtudown and initializes itself, showing the progress by printing the percentage.

This used to happen after resume from standby, within the next few hours of work.

As an experiment I disabled Active Protection and my thinkpad has been working hang and crash free for 2 weeks now, resuming from and going to sleep without any problems.

To test if the problem is within Active Protection really, I  enabled it again and I had a hang in the next 20 minutes. I restarted (through power off), suspended the computer, resumed, and after an hour - it hanged.

Since than I have my Active Protection disabled and everything works fine.

Although I can work with Active Protection off, I prefer it switched on. Any ideas how to fix the problem?

I know I am not the only one experiencing this problem (I've seen other similar posts), although it seems that many people still don't know that active protection is the cause.

sktn77a
802.11n
Views: 3,821
Message 2 of 12

Re: Active Protection causes bizare hangs on T61p

Sounds like a software corruption issue.  I have a T61p and the APS works flawlessly.  The APS software is available on the Lenovo support site so you can delete your existing software and re-install it:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-53150

If that doesn't work, the only solution that comes to mind is to do a full system recovery.

Keith
Formerly 600E 2645, T30 2366, X31 2673, T40 2373, T41 2379, T42 2373, T42 2379, T60 1952, T61p 8889, T61p 8891
Currently T420 4177-CTO, T430 2347-A54, T430 2349-L64, T430 2347-UN9, T430 2342-CTR, Ideapad K1, H520S 2561-1LU
stefangp
Punch Card
Views: 3,803
Message 3 of 12

Reinstalling it doesn't help. Neither does a full system recovery. I have done 2 full system recoveries and the problem persisted in both, though I suspected the Intel Turbo Memory to be the problem back than.

I have to say though, that immediatly after a system recovery the issue happens less often than after a few weeks of work, installing stuff, etc. It might as well be some conflicting software, but I have no way to check that Smiley Sad

I have a T61p 6459-CTO which I bought from the US. What's more interesting is that a co-worker of mine with a 14" T61p bought in Europe has the same problem, only less frequent.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 3,798
Message 4 of 12

Hi Stefangp,

i would suggest to disable Turbo Memory a and see if it solve the problem.

See this thread an scroll down, there a some user with freezing system on battery and no BOSD also.

greets

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T430s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

stefangp
Punch Card
Views: 3,748
Message 5 of 12

Hi again,

Turning off Intel Turbo memory did not help. I still get the hangs. Turning off APS however helps. I know at least  one other T61P that has absolutely the same problem, with a completely different installation (but again Windows Vista).

Is there a way to see what's wrong within APS and send feedback to Lenovo?

It seems like the software crashes and never actually unparcks the heads of the hard drive

BUZZARD
Punch Card
Views: 3,731
Message 6 of 12

Try disabling hybrid hard disk power saving mode - battery & leave Turbo memory on. This has worked for some folks.
stefangp
Punch Card
Views: 3,667
Message 7 of 12

This dign't help as well. It seems that APS is the cause by itself.

Any new ideas?

stefangp
Punch Card
Views: 3,556
Message 8 of 12

I hate to have to bring the topic again to the front, but the problem persists no matter what I try. Can someon please help me? How can I contact lenovo support on the subject?

CSX
Token Ring
Views: 3,519
Message 9 of 12

Have you ever tried to open the Active Protection system application and adjust the sensitivity settings?

Serach on IBM.com "MIGR-53167"

Active Protection system overview - ThinkPad General
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ignorance is no excuse!
sili6
What's DOS?
Views: 3,355
Message 10 of 12

Hi

Did you find a solution for this issue? I have a log of system hangs.. Sometimes hourly, sometimes one a day, sometimes not at all.. 

I thougt I could solve the problem with installing the newest drivers for storage and graphics directly from intel and a page where i could get a hacked driver.. no crashes at all, until i used my t61p in a train. I could not work 5 minutes until the next crash..