Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Julie
Serial Port
Views: 1,036
Message 1 of 7

Apple's Time Capsule + a T61?

Has anyone tried using a Time Capsule with their T61?

Does anyone have any thoughts, experiences, or feedback?

thank YOU!

Smiley Happy
T61 - X300 - D10
sdneidich
Fanfold Paper
Views: 666
Message 2 of 7

Re: Apple's Time Capsule + a T61?

I have been trying to get mine to work with my T60p. The connection is intermittent, and the problem is definitely with my computer, not the time capsule.
Lenovo sucks.
Guru
Views: 651
Message 3 of 7

@Julie

I been using a Apple Time Capsule with different kind of Thinkpads including T61 and it works fine. Any PC or Mac that support the standards like 802.11a, b, g, n should theoretically work fine with the time capsule. Even if it's a Apple product it's not a product that works with Mac only Smiley Happy

I currently use a W510, T410s, T500 and a couple of Macs with a time capsule and find it to work just fine.

@sdneidich

It's easy to blame it on Lenovo when you can't make it work. There could be lot of reasons why you have such problems like old wlan driver, interference, bugs, issues with your Windows installation and so on. Lenovo use the same wlan adapters as you find in other PC brands and Mac's. The problem could be for a lot of reasons. Why not post asking for advice to narrow down the problem instead of jumping to the conclusion that Lenovo suck that make no sense at all? You provide no info about the problems you had, what kind of Thinkpad, wlan adapter or windows version you got and just post that Lenovo sucks because of some unknown problems you had. I'm sure you can find wlan issues among a lot of PC users using different brands, but that doesn't mean they all suck.

-gan

sdneidich
Fanfold Paper
Views: 617
Message 4 of 7

@Gan Thanks for the troll. But you do have a good  point.

Using inSSIDer, we verified that there is no interference from other wireless sources.

We verified that the Atheros 11 a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Express Adapter has the most up to date drivers.

We also tried setting it to automatically choose 2 or 5 GHz, as well as each individually.

We also turned off the ability of Power Manager to turn wireless off. Not that it matters, since the issue persists on highest power settings even when plugged into the wall.

Also, this issue is unique to when I am using my Time Capsule, or my parents Airport Extreme. It does not occur on my campus' WiFi areas, or on my old Lynksys router. 

Highlighted
sdneidich
Fanfold Paper
Views: 615
Message 5 of 7

More details on my system specs:

2007 T60p

Intel Core 2 duo 2.0 GHz T7200

3.00 GB ram

Running 64 bit Windows 7

Any other system specs that are needed?

sdneidich
Fanfold Paper
Views: 537
Message 6 of 7

Bump. Again.

Guru
Views: 505
Message 7 of 7

The problem could just as well be the airport since the Lenovo work with any other access points. Did you try to check out the Apple support forum and other Mac forums as well? I read that many complain about the Airport and disconnect using Macbooks so not only Lenovo. Some claim it's because they use WEP and switching to WPA/WPA2 solved the problem and some claim the Aiport is very sensitive to interference. Some also said that changing channel solved the problem, but i guess that indicate a interference problem. There is a lot of other equipment that use the same frequency as 802.11b/g so even if no other wireless network are close to you there could still be interference. A spectrum analyzer would show such kind of problems. Using 802.11a that should normally not be a problem though.

What kind of encryption do you use on the airport (WEP, WPA, WPA2 and so on)? I assume you stay away from channels above 11 for 802.11b/g since you live in the US. Are you using 802.11n as well? Did you buy the Atheros from IBM/Lenovo as a IBM product? Using older Thinkpads i always preferred Atheros since i had a lot of issues with the older Intel adapters, but i read others thet experienced the opposite. For my last four Thinkpads i used Intel adapters without any issues and not used any Atheros adapters for some time now.

Either way i think comments like "Lenovo sucks" or "Apple sucks" is so unnecessary and especially based on a wireless problem using Lenovo/Airport only where it's not even confirmed where the problem is. Such commentes are not helpful for anyone in a community like this. I don't mean to offend you and hope you don't take this the wrong way i just express my opinion about such comments that i find hard to take seriously which is basically the reason for mye first comment.

-gan

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals