cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sbogom
What's DOS?
Views: 10,070
Message 1 of 7

BSOD on T61 referencing igxpdv32.dll (Intel 965 Express chipset video)

Every week or 2, my Windows XP system crashes with a blue screen of death (BSOD) referencing igxpdv32.dll. This is part of the video display driver. The video hardware in this T61 system is an Intel 965 Express chipset. I have the latest drivers available from Lenovo installed (6.14.10.5043).  I've been to the Intel support site, but they say that I should only use Lenovo drivers with this system.

There are many topics on the web describing this problem when running games with this video hardware, but I don't run any games. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can do to eliminate these crashes?

thanks in advance.

robert_reuben
Paper Tape
Views: 9,866
Message 2 of 7

Re: BSOD on T61 referencing igxpdv32.dll (Intel 965 Express chipset video)

Just to say that I have the same problem and would like to find an answer.  Also a T61, WinXP SP3, with these BSOD now every few days.  System Update says my drivers are up to date. Ideas?

gdf321
Paper Tape
Views: 9,535
Message 3 of 7

I have exactly the same problem. The error occurs with the internal monitor (1680x1050) as well as with the external monitor.

I updated to the latest Intel graphic driver (Thinkpad T61 Intel 965 Graphic driver V 5218)

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Laptop...

Using this driver I reduced the errors from once a day to once a week. Interesting is that always the Internet Explorer 8 (IE8) is one of the running programs. Sometimes it is only the IE8 that is running. Other programs I use are MS Office 2007 programs, mostly Outlook with Business Contact Manager, Word and Excel.

I can't use the latest Lenovo driver because the resolution 1600x1200@85Hz that I need for my external monitor is not working correctly (horizontal flickering, only in this resolution)

I'm disappointed about this situation. The T61 is designed for professional use, and XP SP3 is official suported.

There seems to be no solution.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 9,520
Message 4 of 7

i am also having this problem. I will see whether backdating the intel driver would help. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
gdf321
Paper Tape
Views: 9,503
Message 5 of 7

I tried 4 previous drivers, Lenovo as well es Intel, and noticed the same issue, but more frequently appearing.

dangoodman
Paper Tape
Views: 8,017
Message 6 of 7

I too have met the BSOD with this -- msg doesn't include the 32 part, but refs igxpdv.

The machine: T61 6465 CTO

The history: Machine is running XP SP3, had original drivers until I installed a scanner for the first time about a week ago. At that time, I upgraded a boatload of drivers from the Lenovo download site.

This is by way of saying that with much older drivers I didn't ever have this. The info about rolling back a few levels not working will save me some time.

I am not on that machine right now, but will look into what version I have and if there is a more recent one, both for it and for any other graphic drivers that may not play nice with it.

But one question: somewhere, don't remember if here or elsewhere, said to uninstall the graphics driver, reboot, download the newest driver (presumably using ThinkVantage Productivity Center driver updater), and then install it.

BUT, won't you have a problem if you uninstall the driver and reboot with no graphics driver loaded?

I don't want to try this to see. Is it in fact necessary to uninstall the old one when installing the new, or will the ThinkVantage tool take care of that? Or possibly, the driver install package itself?

Would like to get some feedback on that if anyone can say anything definitive about that idea.

And I wanted to let the community know that now, over six months since others last reported it here, the problem still exists.

And Google shows it existing in various environments and platforms for more than two years.

Lets hope someone has grubbed deep enough in the code to find and fix the problem. This is really annoying as it seems to happen under a lot of different circumstances. And always when you seem  to be working hard, and suddenly -- BOOM!

dangoodman
Paper Tape
Views: 7,996
Message 7 of 7

Been doing my "due diligence" -- I too have the 5218 version of the driver, and have tried reinstalling it (from source onboard, and without uninstalling first.)

Also, I have tried disabling all HW accelerations for grafix, and have set the color down from 32 to 16 bit. Will follow up in a few days (if I remember and don't get too busy) to post whether or not this has fixed problems. Then I will try gradually turning various HW accels back on and/or stepping the color depth up again.

Does anyone know if Intel has a bug  report on this, and if so, if they are actively addressing it?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals