Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Archie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,469
Message 1 of 13

Bad sector?

Hi,

I recently bought a T61P (6460-D8G) notebook with a Vista Ultimate preinstalled. I started it and finished the installation by downloading and installing all MS and Lenovo patches. Everything seemed to be working fine, until I just happened to run the Event Viewer and read some of the log entries there. I found an error message saying there is something wrong with a TCPIP.SYS -file. The message said that this file may be corrupted. Now, please note that everything, including my TCPIP connections were working just nicely - or at least as much as I can tell, they were.

So naturally I decided to run chkdsk /f. Whoa, to my amazement it found one bad sector on the disk (Hitachi 7K200, 160GB). Well, these things happen, of course, so I immediately called Lenovo support number in my country, and the friendly support person there ordered me a replacement drive and Vista restore dvd's.

The replacement drive arrived before the restore dvd's (on the next day, actually - very nice indeed!), so I decided to install the replacement drive and run the XP Pro restore CD's that had come with the notebook. XP installed nicely and everything was working as expected. So I ran chkdsk/f again. No bad sectors this time, everything OK. Fine.

Now, the Vista restore dvd's arrived a couple of days ago, so of course I wanted to restore Vista. Once again the installation went just fine and all the patches and everything was installed. I decided to run chkdsk/f again. Quess what?!?! There it is again, ONE bad sector! Having found this I also checked the Event Viewer again, and was really amazed, as there was that SAME MESSAGE again, about the TCPIP.SYS file being corrupted!

What's going on here? I realize it's possible that I've just gotten another faulty drive, but why didn't the XP chkdsk find the problem? How did the bad sector just happen to appear in exactly the same file as before? Could it be that Vista chkdsk is somehow "better"?

Is it possible that the Vista installation somehow CAUSED the bad sector to appear?

Should I try to replace the disk again? Has anyone else seen anything similar...?

Archie

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 7,468
Message 2 of 13

Re: Bad sector?

Hello,

i would suggest to download the Hitachi hdd diagnostic tool from Hitachi website to verify Vista or XP´s checkdisk

and the bad sektor.

May be something is wrong with your vista installation disks?

greets 

Andreas

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T430s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Archie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,465
Message 3 of 13

Thank you, Andreas,

that sounds like a good idea. I almost refuse to believe the bad sector could just happen to exist on exactly the same file than where it was on the original disk Smiley Happy. Could it be that it isn't really a bad sector at all? Why would it be marked as such, then?

I quess you are referring to the "Drive Fitness Test" (version 4.14) software. Can you recommend any specific settings etc. to use with it so I can get as thorough an analysis as possible?

I will try this later today as I get home from work Smiley Happy .

Surely there CAN be something wrong with the Vista restore disks as well, but at least I didn't get any error messages referring to TCPIP.SYS (or any other file, for that matter). And the same problem existed in the factory preinstalled Vista as well...

This is definitely an interesting one Smiley Happy .

Archie

Message Edited by Archie on 09-08-2008 11:28 AM
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 7,459
Message 4 of 13

Hello Archie,

i appreciate but i haven´t paramenters regarding Hitachi Tool, but think using it won´t be complicate.

Also you coud try a Linux Live Cd and try to scan your drive with included hdd software.

Or simply start from recovery partition, press blue button at start up and ran Pc Doctor 5.0 or download it

from Lenovo Homepage and burn to cd.

Tell us your result!

Greets 

Andreas

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T430s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 7,419
Message 5 of 13

hi

did you try the recovery environment in vista??may then you can come to some conclusions.....when you boot with vista DVD this time check out for the "repair this computer" option see whther vista see any problems with ur HDD or not.... 

Archie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,390
Message 6 of 13

Ok, I just completed the Advanced test option in the "Drive Fitness Test v.4.14" software by Hitachi. It showed nothing wrong with the drive. All it told me was: "Operation completed successfully. Disposition Code 0x00", which according the help in this software means everything is fine.

I will try the Pc-Doctor 5 for Windows next. I quess it's test will take a bit long so I will return with the results later.

There is a hard drive diagnostics option in the BIOS as well, I quess I could try that too.

In the meantime, I noticed that Vista no longer reports TCPIP.SYS file being corrupted. Instead I found another error message in security log section of the Event Viewer (the same place where the error message regarding TCPIP.SYS originally was), and this time it claims that there is a similar problem with \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\drivers\tvtfilter.sys file. The event ID is 5038 and the source is Microsoft Windows security auditing.

I just don't know... what is wrong with this harddisk or the perhaps the whole computer...?!

Samavedam_vijay,

Thank you for your input as well, although unfortunately I don't know exactly what you are referring to...?  Just to clarify, I don't have the actual Vista Ultimate installation DVD (by Microsoft), just the set of Vista restore dvd's provided by Lenovo. Is there a way to do what you are proposing with the restore dvd?

Archie

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 7,383
Message 7 of 13

hello archie

seucrity audits are recorded by the system very frequently u dont have to bother about them ....if you want further information on them this time click on any links given below the audit......a detailed description will be given to you about it and also possible solutions..

to the other thing about your HDD yes i was referring to the recovery environment in vista using the DVD i never did use OEM version of vista my self so i cant sujjest u in that manner..however if you could just get any vista dvd and run the test it would be fine may be the tcp.sys file is faulty?i guess so...... 

by the way i stongly recommend that you use vista's inbuilt diagnostic tools in the control panel,when i installed vista ultimate on my system and ran the diag it did show an upcoming catastrophie to my HDD which happened........ this tool should clear the air certainly!  

for this purpose you have to use the performance and reliabilty monitor which is built into vista itself run them and check out the health of you hdd ............

hope this helps! 

Message Edited by samavedam_vijay on 09-08-2008 09:24 PM
Message Edited by samavedam_vijay on 09-08-2008 09:24 PM
Archie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,364
Message 8 of 13

So, did some further testing... PC-Doctor 5 for Windows: no problems whatsoever.

Vista's own performance and reliability monitor: no problems whatsoever.

I quess I should use some really hard core diagnostic that actually writes some data on every sector of the disk and then tries to read it back... Unfortunately I don't know any such program.

Anyway, I'm still stuck with that one bad sector.

Maybe I don't have to worry about the security audit message, as you said, samavedam_vijay, but still... the message DOES inform us about the possibility of a corrupted file... (first only TCPIP.SYS, now both TCPIP.SYS and TVTFILTER.SYS )... and there IS a bad sector on the disk, at least according to chkdsk/f... So, calculating 1+1 here...

Perhaps I should just replace the drive again...? Wouldn't like to do that too many times though, as it takes several hours to get everything back just the way it was...

Has anyone here ever experienced anything similar?

Archie

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 7,353
Message 9 of 13

yes better check each and every sector of ur HDD may be that will confirm all your doubts......
Archie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,343
Message 10 of 13

> ... better check each and every sector of ur HDD...

Yes, well, as I tried to say, I don't know which software would do this, so... Smiley Sad  Unless of course this is just what the PC-Doctor 5 just did.

Now, your input did give me one valuable bit of further information, samavedam_vijay! You see, as I clicked the link shown below the Event Viewer message regarding the possible file corruption, I was shown some articles from Microsoft TechNet database, and they seem to verify that others have also experienced this problem Smiley Happy . Unortunately there was no information as to how to fix the situation.

At this point I think it would be very nice to hear someone from Lenovo - do you also have reports of such problem (as described in this discussion)?

Archie

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors