Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lvl60
Paper Tape
Views: 75,574
Message 1 of 26

Battery gauge reset destroyed my battery

Help... Help!!! 

I have used my T60 for over one year so I thought it would be time to "recycle" my battery.  Then I notice the "Battery Gauge Reset" under Battery Maintaince so I tried it see if it would keep my battery in good condition.

My battery was fully charge to 56.16Wh which is the original full charging spec.  Thus after one year, my battery is still showing this same fully charge capacity.

Then I went ahead and perform the battery gauge reset.  After about 5-6 hours of doing this process, after it was done, my battery full charge capacity dropped to 40.43 Wh.  I was not sure of what to make of this result since I don't know if this reading is accurate, or is my battery has been degraded.

So one day later, I ran this battery gauge reset again.  Again, after 5 hours of performing this process, my battery full charge capacity now dropped to 29.20 Wh, i.e. almost half of my original fully charge level.

I was very mad and want to be sure if it is this battery gauge reset function that destroyed my battery or it is really my battery, so then I perform this reset function one more time.  Again, after 5 hours of this reset process, when done, my battery full charge capacity is now dropped to 19.09 Wh.

Can anyone from Lenovo tell me whether the reset has destroyed my battery or my battery is still good, but the reading is misleading?  I thank you in advance for any information.

LvL.

stealthth
802.11n
Views: 75,558
Message 2 of 26

Re: Battery gauge reset destroyed my battery

I hate to say this...but "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" - Einstien.

A little bit of research has shown that Lithium Ion Batteries do not respond well to full depletion and recharge states. They like to be in the middle.  Honestly, for future use and for others, the battery reset is only worth it if you think your battery is dead (or if the pack has one or more dead cells). There is a low chance that it can help...but discharging the battery all of the way and recharging it fully is more than likily to be harmful. 

I didn't mean to be mean, but that quote kind of fit well.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 75,544
Message 3 of 26

lvl60 wrote:

Can anyone from Lenovo tell me whether the reset has destroyed my battery

As per the help file for the power manager, you are supposed to very occasionally run a single battery reset only

Cheers,

Bill

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
lvl60
Paper Tape
Views: 75,513
Message 4 of 26

Thank you Stealth and Bill for your feedbacks.  They are helpful.  However, Lenovo should put a big "WARNING" on the use of this function since even "occasionally run a single battery reset only" will also degrade the battery.  I ran it for the first time after using the battery for over one year and it still destroyed my battery the first time.

Perhaps this function should never be run on the Lith-ion battery, or only should be run on dead battery as Stealth suggested.  There is no such warning or instruction from Lenovo.

In any case, it there any way to correct this matter?

Once again, thank you for all your help.

LvL.

stealthth
802.11n
Views: 75,511
Message 5 of 26

@lvl60 wrote:

Thank you Stealth and Bill for your feedbacks.  They are helpful.  However, Lenovo should put a big "WARNING" on the use of this function since even "occasionally run a single battery reset only" will also degrade the battery.  I ran it for the first time after using the battery for over one year and it still destroyed my battery the first time.

Perhaps this function should never be run on the Lith-ion battery, or only should be run on dead battery as Stealth suggested.  There is no such warning or instruction from Lenovo.

In any case, it there any way to correct this matter?

Once again, thank you for all your help.

LvL.

Unfortunatley if the battery is out of the one year warranty, Lenovo may not cover it. You can try and plead your case that their software is responsible, but don't get your hopes up. If the first CS rep doesn't work you can try requesting a supervisor, but it probably isn't worth going any higher than that.

lvl60
Paper Tape
Views: 75,401
Message 6 of 26

Once again, thank you Stealth.  Actually I was looking for to see if there are software out there, or utility out there that can correct this problem.  Since it is this "battery gauge reset" utility that destroy my battery, is there software utility that can reserve this problem.

As I know, most of the modern battery has built-in protection so that the battery can not be discharged to the point that it would damage the battery.  Thus, since this battery gauge reset function discharge the battery, I would think there is controller within the battery that would protect the battery.  However, is there utility that would communicate with this "battery internal controller" to reverse this process?

Anyway, your feedbacks have been very helpful.  Now, I know more about all of these misleading advertising.  Thank you very much.

CSX
Token Ring
Views: 75,396
Message 7 of 26

It is my understanding that Lithium Ion batteries should not ahve the reset process done to them Only the Nickel Cadium batteries. "however you spell it".

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-51038.html

Battery life (capacity) decreases with age and usage of batteryCapacity is the length of time you can run your system on a fully charged battery. It is normal for all batteries to lose some capacity over time. Each time you discharge and recharge your battery, you will lose a very small amount of this capacity.

Some of the capacity may be recovered through using a more aggressive power management scheme.

You may also want to check for specific information on your system; for example, some BIOS updates include power management enhancements. Other systems have specific tools to help with battery life. To find drivers and files for your system, go to ThinkPad software and device drive file matrix and select the link for your system.

Conditioning Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) batteries may improve their capacity, but will not help Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) batteries. To condition NiMH batteries completely discharge them (also called a deep discharge) and recharge them every few months. Do not do this to Li-Ion batteries because it will actually damage them

Message Edited by CSX on 11-26-2008 04:01 PM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ignorance is no excuse!
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 75,384
Message 8 of 26

CSX wrote:

It is my understanding that Lithium Ion batteries should not ahve the reset process done to them

Lithium Ion battery packs used in laptops require a recalibration of the dead reckoning usage measure of battery capacity performed by the in-battery-pack microprocessor against an accurate actual capacity metric.  The only way to create an accurate actual capacity metric is to run a full charge/discharge cycle, which is what the ThinkPad Power Manager battery maintenence "reset" function does.

The capacity the Orininal Poster reported after performing the first reset operation is a quite plausible "actual" capacity a 1+ year old LiOn battery pack battery.

Cheers,

Bill

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
CSX
Token Ring
Views: 75,372
Message 9 of 26

Im just going off what it says on the lenovo website? That was a direct quote that is highlighted in red.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ignorance is no excuse!
lvl60
Paper Tape
Views: 75,366
Message 10 of 26

Great feedbacks.  Thank you so much everyone.

Then should Lenovo detects that it is the Li-Ion battery and not run this function or give a big "WARNING" to the user, i.e. consumer, so as not to destroy their battery further.  Better yet, on all the new system, since they all run on Li-Ion battery, should this function be removed, or update correctly as to do its job, i.e. reset the battery gauge to get correct reading, but not to destroy "even a little bit" of the battery capacity in doing so?  It does not seem to be a fair trade-off for the users.

Anyway, I learn my lesson.  Thanks everyone.  Is there "aggressive" power management utilities that can reverse this problem.... (I know I am far reaching....).  Thanks.

LvL.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors