Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Bhavick
Paper Tape
Views: 1,706
Message 1 of 3

Best Operating System for T61?

Hi,

Am in a bit of trouble here and i need some urgent help. I currently own a Lenovo T61 ThinkPad Laptop. Recently i decided i wanted to sell it so i erased everything by accident off the laptop and now when i try and boot it up there is an error message saying no such partition and it's in grub mode. I've looked in to the issue a little and others have suggested downloading another version of Windows on to a CD or USB and then loading the operating system on to the laptop. Yesterday i contacted Microsft because i wanted to know what version was originally on my laptop before deleting it and i was told it was Windows Vista Business which they told me they no longer support so i can't download it again. I provided them with the Product Key which is on the sticker on the bottom of the laptop.

So my question is what is the best version of Windows to run on my T61 laptop? Am not sure what bit my laptop ie 32 or 64 bit? The only information i have on the laptop is:  Lenovo Thinkpad T61 14.1"; 80GB HD Intel Core2 Duo 2Ghz with 2GB of RAM. 

That's all the information i have on the laptop. If anyone can offer any advice on the best operating system to use i would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,668
Message 2 of 3

Re: Best Operating System for T61?

If it ran were mine and I wanted to get it running to sell, I would first download windows 10 and see if it would install.  I believe it will activate off the windows 8 license in the BIOS.  With a Core2Duo, you can run 64 bit.  If it wouldn't run windows 10, I would install Ubuntu.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Bhavick
Paper Tape
Views: 1,658
Message 3 of 3

Re: Best Operating System for T61?

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your reply. Just to let you know i got the laptop all sorted out, i managed to get Windows 10 Professional installed on it and it works perfectly:-)

Thanks

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals