Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eyedea2011
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,450
Message 1 of 6

Blue Screen Of Death!!

I have t40p 2373 w3u laptop that has recently been getting the blue screen of death. I'll be online using XP when all of a sudden the blue screen of death appears from nowhere. No warning at all, i'll be on youtube then boom there it is. Any ideas of what i can do? This is a re-built laptop so i don't want to spend any money to fix it. I'd appreciate any suggestions.
dog66ye
Punch Card
Views: 1,444
Message 2 of 6

Re: Blue Screen Of Death!!

Blue screen must of the times has something to do with hardware issues.

It will be great if you could give us the error code that shows on the blue screen.

Guru
Views: 1,410
Message 3 of 6

Welcome to the forum!

Run PC-Doctor on all components of your system

Run MemTest 86 on your RAM.

Please report progress or lack thereof...

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Raiden
Paper Tape
Views: 1,404
Message 4 of 6

Hi,

BSOD is sure annoying. I would personally recommend the following.

1. First, switch off the automatically restart option, when error occurs in My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Settings.
  2. Further, enable kernel dumping as a small memory dump(64 kb) , and tick ON the overwrite file option.
  3. Note down the error code, when BSOD occurs.
  4. Try to recollect, if you had updated any device driver, or added new hardware to the system. Doing a system restore prior to this event might help.
  5. In order to fully understand the module causing fault, try to download Debugging Tools for Windows x86, with the Symbol package (dependent on OS & 32/64 -bit processor) from the Microsoft website. Install this package.
  6. When you restart the system after the BSOD, usually there will be a message that "Windows has recovered from a serious error", and might ask your permission for error reporting. Do NOT permit error reporting now, check out the technical details of the error, wherein you will get a path (file/ directory location) of the memory dump file. Navigate to this directory, you should find 3 files. Select all the files, copy them to another location. Now error reporting maybe permitted.
  7. You might be able to learn more information,by analyzing the dump report, by opening the file, from the Windows Debugger (windbg). This program will tell you, which module created a fault, and the nature of the fault.
  8. If the system files are corrupted, we could check their file signature using Dr.Watson.

This is what I have done, when my T61 reports BSOD. I am yet to solve the problem completely, my fault causing module is "cdrom.sys".

Hope this info helps you.

Kindly post your progress.

All the Best!

Raiden 

eyedea2011
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,388
Message 5 of 6

It dosen't stay on long enough for me to get the error code.
Raiden
Paper Tape
Views: 1,353
Message 6 of 6

Uncheck the restart automatically option as mentioned, the system will generally NOT restart at BSOD.

Even otherwise, if the option for complete/small memory dump is available, @ restart, you may be able to salvage the files as mentioned, the *.dmp file is critical for BSOD related info; assuming you delay the error reporting.

Hope this provides some info.

Cheers,

Raiden aka Gokul 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors