cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Singtoh
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,133
Message 1 of 10

Bluetooth Fingerprint Readers, Do they Exist???

A workmate of mine recently purchased a T61 thru e-bay. He really likes the fingerprint reader on my T61 and when it was delivered it didn't come with the fingerprint reader,he didn't read the specs. very well obviously! Anyone out there know if you can get Bluetooth Fingerprint Readers, yet(or ever)??? He doesn't want the USB type!! I have been searching the internet and haven't seen any.

Cheers,

Singtoh

7663-A22,T61 14.1 Wide,T7300 2.0gig processor, 4 gig RAM, 500gig Seagate Hybrid HDD, 200gig Ultra Bay HDD, Ubuntu 64 Bit.
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 2,123
Message 2 of 10

Re: Bluetooth Fingerprint Readers, Do they Exist???

It would probably be easier, and more comfortable, to change the palm rest for one that has a fingerprint reader.

The part number and instructions can be found in the Hardware Maintainance Manual

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

icantux
802.11n
Views: 2,114
Message 3 of 10

Does a bluetooth fingerprint reader exist?

I certainly hope not!

What a security gap that would be! The ease with which a BT packet can be compromised would make any fingerprint scanner for "security" using bluetooth utterly insecure!! It's an oxymoron of sorts as well: using a completely unsecured method of communication for security purposes!

Tell your friend not to bother even looking for such a device. Best would be to change the palmrest with one that has a FP reader built-in.

Message Edited by icantux on 06-29-2008 02:42 PM
Singtoh
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,088
Message 4 of 10

Hi andyp,

Thanks for the suggestion and parts help, I didn't realize that it was so easy to do that. I will pass this along to my mate and I am sure he will be very pleased with this! He wanted to try and send it back, it's that importantant to him. Thanks again!!

Cheers Singtoh,

7663-A22,T61 14.1 Wide,T7300 2.0gig processor, 4 gig RAM, 500gig Seagate Hybrid HDD, 200gig Ultra Bay HDD, Ubuntu 64 Bit.
Singtoh
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,084
Message 5 of 10

Ok thanks for the advice and I didn't really think of the security issues with that. I posted before I thought about it to much because he was in a hurry to send it back and try to get it replaced with one that has one which would have cost him a load more with duty and all. Thanks for the solution guy's I appreciate it very much.  I guess I am an "oxymoron", Oh well, I guess I will just keep stumbling through life.

Cheers,

Singttoh

Highlighted
Singtoh
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,077
Message 6 of 10

Hi andyP,

Would you have any idea how much the Palm rest with fingerprint reader is, my mate would have to get this out of the states( I guess) because of the cost difference between the States and the U.K., and have it hand carried to our work in Iraq. Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Singtoh

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 2,061
Message 7 of 10

Two considerations here, the first is you need to post the typre and model number of the T61 is concerned, the second is that I am not in the USA.

I can however inform you that the palm rest for 14" 4:3 and 15,4" prices in Germany are both around €34 plus tax. 

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Singtoh
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,030
Message 8 of 10

Hello andyP, thanks soo much for the info! Here is the Type and Model# 7662-CTO. I have informed my mate about this and he is now a very happy satisfied customer, knowing that he can do this easy upgrade! The 35 Euro's is not a problem and I was wondering where he could purchase this from within Germany, or the U.K. for he is a Brit. and that would make things just wonderful for him. Thanks again for your help andyP!!!

Cheers,

Singtoh

icantux
802.11n
Views: 2,010
Message 9 of 10

@Singtoh wrote:

Thanks for the solution guy's I appreciate it very much.  I guess I am an "oxymoron", Oh well, I guess I will just keep stumbling through life.

Cheers,

Singttoh

No no! Singttoh ... I hope you don't think oxymoron is a bad name or that I called you a bad name... Smiley Surprised

Oxymoron is a noun that describes a figure of speech of two mutually contradictory ideas or terms. Like saying something such as "dark like the sun" ... the sun cannot be dark - therefore that phrase is an oxymoron.

In the case of the bluetooth fingerprint reader - bluetooth (or any other signal that travels freely through the air) is never "fully secure" while the whole point of the fingerprint scanner is "complete security"... So the purpose of the two technologies in this case are contradictory... So "bluetooth fingerprint scanner" is an oxymoron. 

I hope that clears it up! 

Steve

Message Edited by icantux on 07-01-2008 09:31 PM
Singtoh
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,997
Message 10 of 10

Hi Steve,

Don't give it another thought mate. I obviously didn't, but I guess I should have looked it up in my dictionary or thesaurus, again just in a hurry that's all! I slept through most of English Class and you, I guess, did not. Good on ya!! Thanks for the explanation, and when I reply to another post I will be sure to have the thesaurus at hand. No worries and have a good one Steve.

Cheers,

Singtoh

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors