cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BigJoshSD
What's DOS?
Views: 2,549
Message 1 of 8

Bluetooth on T61 not recognized after installing lcd panel with integrated bluetooth daughter card

Hello, I own two Thinkpad T61 laptops - one with an integrated bluetooth card and the other without. I swapped lcd panels in order to have bluetooth capabilities on the machine I use the most (which happened to be the one that did not come with integrated bluetooth ), but after swapping out the hardware the system will not recognize the bluetooth daughter card inside the newly-installed lcd assembly.  The two models in question are 7661-E17 and 7659-CTO.  The 7661-E17 is the machine that originally did not have a bluetooth card, and which now has the lcd panel from the 7659-CTO machine.  I figured replacing the lcd panels would be much easier then opening up the lcd asembly and installing a bluetooth daughter card - was I wrong?  Everything else works perfectly in both systems, so I'm confident I didn't damage anything while replacing the parts.  What could be causing the problem?  Could it be that the 7661-E17 simply does not support the Bluetooth card in the LCD from the 7659-CTO machine?  I looked on the lenovo website but coudln't find any definite answers..

Thank you in advance for any help!  I really want the 7661-E17 machine to have integrated bluetooth capabilities!  I'm running Vista in both machines, and had no problem using the bluetooth card when it was installed in the 7659-CTO.

Retired Guru
Views: 2,536
Message 2 of 8

Re: Bluetooth on T61 not recognized after installing lcd panel with integrated bluetooth daughter ca

The bluetooth device needs to be enabled via the Fn+F5 hotkey. Then you can install the bluetooth driver.

Note: The ThinkVantage Power Manager must be installed in order to use Fn+F5 hotkey.

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //
BigJoshSD
What's DOS?
Views: 2,530
Message 3 of 8

Re: Bluetooth on T61 not recognized after installing lcd panel with integrated bluetooth daughter ca

Thanks for the reply ortegaluis.  At first I wasn't able to get the Fn+F5 command to work, but after installing the appropriate hot key drivers and system interface drivers I got that part to work.  Now when I hit the Fn+F5 keys I can only turn on/off the wireless radio (802.11).  The status shows as "ON".  There is no option to turn the bluetooth on/off.  I also tried installing the bluetooth drivers again, and I get the same error message "No bluetooth device was detected.  Please make sure your bluetooth device is plugged in properly in order to continue installation" 

Any ideas as to what could be causing this?  Much appreciated!

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,523
Message 4 of 8

The Power Manager Driver needs to be correctly installed for the Bluetooth device to power on. Try re-installing it.
I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
BigJoshSD
What's DOS?
Views: 2,491
Message 5 of 8

Thanks bananaman.....!!  I re-installed the application, rebooted, and VOILA!  It worked!! 

Thanks for your help bananaman!  You too ortegaluis! 

rlcrock
What's DOS?
Views: 2,375
Message 6 of 8

Exactly what did you have to reinstall in order to get Fn+F5 working.  I am having the same problem, but on an X61 tablet after an OS reinstall.  I have downloaded all of the software I can remember having before, but I am missing something important apparently.

Thanks.

Retired Guru
Views: 2,368
Message 7 of 8

Fn+F5 hotkey will work after installing the ThinVantage Power Manager.

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,359
Message 8 of 8

Just to be clear, Fn-F5 will be able to power on and off your wireless devices after installing the ThinkPad Power Manager DRIVER (sometimes called ACPI Power Management).

You don't need the additional ThinkVantage Power Manager utility for Fn-F5 to work properly.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors