Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gustavorubio
What's DOS?
Views: 1,505
Message 81 of 91

Re: Bluetooth update killed my Windows 7

I'm extremely dissapointed with lenovo not giving a single f**k about this or whoever is responsible, this is a really really serious problem. I bought several machines for our office and we are stuck with this, not that we can't live with proper bluetooth support but yet it is terrible that we have to be so cautious each time we update our windows machines.

Sad thing is that lenovo (or IBM for that matter) had this fame of having superb quality products with their thinkpad lines, no wonder why now everyone want's to get a Mac... PC market has lost so much quality in their products.

For the time being, I have to upgrade machines for two of the guys around here, and I'm not buying lenovo of course. Sorry if this is not helping you but I had this problem too and it made me lose not only time but money since every hour I spend fixing someone else's  problem my company loses money.  

r09traveler
What's DOS?
Views: 1,234
Message 82 of 91

Agree.  I have purchased 3 ThinkPads within the last 10 years, but I won't be buying any more.  Lenovo doesn't give a d*mn about this clearly recurring, prevalent, and damaging problem. 

JEFFERSONDEA
Punch Card
Views: 1,207
Message 83 of 91

Just to pile in with complaints, I recently saw the BT driver update via the Lenovo site. Installed it. It nuked my W7 install. I had to reinstall an image and thank goodness I had one. Didn't believe it was the BT update. Had to recall the image 2 more times. After all that work I can saw Lenovo sucks the big on with the BT drive update. No matter how well it does with everything else, customers remember things that go wrong. Please fix it and redeem yourself.

Highlighted
JEFFERSONDEA
Punch Card
Views: 1,205
Message 84 of 91

Just to add constructive comments, I think it has to do with the way the original driver is being removed. Doesn't seem to be clean and poorly written so when the new one is installed the OS goes kaboom and in the crapper.

aoitenshi
Punch Card
Views: 1,175
Message 85 of 91

Hi,   It seems the last bluetooth driver for T61 was vers...

Hi,

It seems the last bluetooth driver for T61 was version 6.1.0.5100

I've read the information from http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-70042

If you scroll down and read the the info slowly, you'll read some lines like below :

Version 6.2.0.7900

• [Important] Ended support for the following models.
    • ThinkPad R60, R60e, R61, R61e, R61i
    • ThinkPad T60, T60p, T61, T61p
    • ThinkPad X60, X60s, X60 Tablet, X61, X61s, X61 Tablet
    • ThinkPad Z60m, Z60t, Z61e, Z61m, Z61p, Z61t
    • ThinkPad Reserve Edition
      Note:
      For those models, use the old version, 6.1.0.5100, of this package.
  • (New) Added support for ThinkPad T400s.
  • (New) Optimized the user interface to Microsoft Bluetooth 2.1 stack.
  • (Fix) Fixed an issue where changes in Synchronization Settings on Control Manager did not take effect.
  • (Fix) Fixed an issue where DUN (Dial-up Networking) profile failed after server resumed normal operation from standby state.
  • (Fix) Fixed an issue where audio gateway failed after server resumed normal operation from standby state.

---

I've tried the latest version of this driver and found out that the A2DP feature is unavailable on Windows 7

But after I reinstalled bluetooth driver version  6.1.0.5100, I can use the A2DP feature again, so I can make phone call while my blackberry and my headset are connected via bluetooth ..

T61 7663-DL6 with Mini-Dock 2504

T9500 2.6 GHz | nVIDIA QUADRO NVS 140M
Corsair DDR2 2x2GB PC5300
Samsung 830 64GB 2.5 inch SSD | Samsung 64GB 1.8 inch SSD (lenovo)
Alan_H
Paper Tape
Views: 1,076
Message 86 of 91

Bluetooth driver uninstall wiped my Windows 7

Well thanks a lot Lenovo.  I see this issue has been around for literally years yet there is no warning when downloading and installing a new version of the driver.  Yes, I've just uninstalled 6.1.1400 and yes, it went kaboom.  Luckily I have a backup but it appears that Lenovo Rescue and recovery is unable to recover a system that has been so comprehensively hosed.

So thanks for wasting my time.  It's nice to see how seriously you have treated this issue and how quickly you provided a fix and notificaton of the problem  NOT

Very disappointing!

Time to look for a supplier that takes support seriously!

jedisurfer1
Punch Card
Views: 1,053
Message 87 of 91

I'm glad someone found a fix, but is there a reason people are updating to the newer driver? If the old one works why take the chance of messing your system?
Alan_H
Paper Tape
Views: 1,042
Message 88 of 91

It's common practice to keep drivers updated.  It's hardly "messing" your system. It's maintenance. If a driver has undesirable effects,  there is commonly the option to roll back to the previous one.  If Lenovo issue a driver through system update, you can't really blame a customer for installing it.  

The problem with this issue is once you have 6.2.1.1400 installed, you have a timebomb in your system.  The  Lenovo provided driver package automatically wipes out your hard drive as part of the automated uninstall when a newer release is installed - whenever that may be. If you check the release history,  Lenovo term the update to 6.2.1.1401 as an 'improvement' to uninstall with no reference to dire consequences of uninstalling 6.2.1.1400.

So, Lenovo kept very quiet about this issue.  I suspect it's only affected a minority of customers unlucky enough to have installed that particular version before it was updated.  It is a sad indicator of Lenovo's lack of concern for customers that it took a third party to come up with a fix.  Lenovo still don't provide a tool to clean up the old driver.  

Of course, before you install updates, you should have a full backup so in theory, nobody should permanently lose data if they follow Lenovo's instructions to the letter - but it doesn't mean it's a quick job to recover an entire system.

I was using the Lenovo provided ThinkVantage Rescue and Recovery tool.  As an afterthought, I also set up Windows Backup to run to a fileserver.  The restore using the Lenovo tool left me with an unbootable system both times I tried it so good job I wasn't relying on Rescue and Recovery to rescue or recover my system.  Utter rubbish!  

Thankfully, Windows Backup did the job perfectly and the only thing I lost was the weekend!

Meng-Tat
Paper Tape
Views: 813
Message 89 of 91

Hi.... i also having the same problem .. can you please help to provide the name of the software u use to restore ur files?

AuldByrd
Paper Tape
Views: 652
Message 90 of 91

This is an unmitigated Disaster.

I've just attempted to update my Thinkpad T500 2081CTO running Windows 7 Ultimate X64 (fully Microsoft updated) with the latest "Lenovo Thinkpad Bluetooth Driver with Enhanced Data Rate Software" (file: 7zbw19ww.exe) update and now get the dreaded btwhidcs.dll missing when booting the computer.

Trying to run the install again produces the following error dialogue:

20130911 Lenovo Bluetooth Driver Update Error.JPG

This thread has been running around 2 years.

Why hasn't this issue been resolved?

Where are you Lenovo?

We need a fix for this Disaster of an update!

Trevor

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals