05-06-2008

Canada

772 Signins

15865 Page Views

• Views: 15865
  • Message 1 of 18

Boot up Freeze/Hang (PROBLEM!): Lenovo Updates Hang T61

2008-05-29, 20:20 PM
I recently updated my system with the latest Lenovo Updates including a BIOS update. Then my computer booted but all I got was a wallpaper my Windows Vista black bar and 3-4 icons loaded on the left tray. The hard drive then stops loading and the laptop freezes. It's not a hardware issue with my laptop because when I don't do the updates and or install certain programs, my laptop does not freeze on boot-up. I recovered my computer to original the factory settings and it booted up perfectly. I installed Norton Ghost  yesterday and the same problem happened again. I think it might possibly a Lenovo software issue or a BIOS issue. Is there anyway to revert back to my old BIOS?

This is what happens when I do the Lenovo updates or install programs like Norton Ghost: Computer boots up, loads wallpaper and Windows Vista Black Bar, about 3-4 icons load up on the tray on the left hand corner then the hard drive stops loading and everything freezes.

The computer works perfectly fine when I don't install those updates or install Norton Ghost. It works as if it has no problems.

What do you think the problem is, BIOS Update or I need a fresh install?

Message Edited by BHerer on 05-29-2008 05:53 PM
Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

US

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 2 of 18

Re: HUGE PROBLEM WITH NEW T61'S (Mark Read!): Lenovo Updates Hanged T61

2008-05-29, 20:45 PM
Bherer,

Thanks for posting.  Will look at this, but I want to be careful not to set a false expectation here in the forum.   This is a peer to peer support forum, with some Lenovo involvement.  Obviously, this issue is important, and is a high priority for you, as are other's issues to them.

I try to priortize our efforts based on severity of impact and the number of forum members involved in an issue.   Calling me, or other Lenovo staff out in the message heading creates a difficult situation, because you are requesting a priority we may not be able to provide at the moment, and I don't want people to feel ignored. 

I would suggest that members post, and try to allow a couple business days for a response by other members, the mod team, or Lenovo.  If you haven't gotten some help, then it's ok to send me a PM with a link to your thread in case  I missed it.

Mark  :smileywink:
Options

156 Posts

05-06-2008

Canada

772 Signins

15865 Page Views

• Message 3 of 18

2008-05-29, 20:55 PM

wrote:
Bherer,

Thanks for posting.  Will look at this, but I want to be careful not to set a false expectation here in the forum.   This is a peer to peer support forum, with some Lenovo involvement.  Obviously, this issue is important, and is a high priority for you, as are other's issues to them.

I try to priortize our efforts based on severity of impact and the number of forum members involved in an issue.   Calling me, or other Lenovo staff out in the message heading creates a difficult situation, because you are requesting a priority we may not be able to provide at the moment, and I don't want people to feel ignored. 

I would suggest that members post, and try to allow a couple business days for a response by other members, the mod team, or Lenovo.  If you haven't gotten some help, then it's ok to send me a PM with a link to your thread in case  I missed it.

Mark  :smileywink:

Mark,

I understand. I've tried many different things and nothing works. I have tried Restoring Default Factory settings and I have tried installing Windows updates. It has to be a BIOS issue or a problem with the software Lenovo preloads onto the system.

Message Edited by BHerer on 05-29-2008 05:56 PM
Options

5884 Posts

11-24-2007

US

12809 Signins

291260 Page Views

• Views: 291260
  • Message 4 of 18

2008-05-29, 21:55 PM
BHerer,

it's very unlikely that the BIOS update caused an issue.   when a BIOS creates a problem the computer has serious hardware issues such as failing to boot, odd fan speeds, a blank display, password issues, etc.   if you're getting windows to boot and a previous system restore works then the problem was caused by another update.

do you recall what updates other than the BIOS were listed in TVSU?   were any of them marked as 'critical' or were they under the 'recommended' or 'optional' tabs?

part of the dilemma with updating drivers is that these drivers are tested by lenovo using base systems with no conflicting hardware installed.   given the billions of third-party hardware and software combinations, it's possible that one of the lenovo drivers could have conflicted with something installed on your system after it left lenovo's factory.   a scenario like this makes it very difficult for both lenovo technicians and the forum community to diagnose a problem like yours given the immense variables involved.   it's still diagnosable -- it's just extremely difficult to do without knowing more information.

on that note, please run TVSU again and post back with a list of drivers suggested for installation including the tab they are listed under.   don't follow through with any of these updates until the list can be examined. ;)

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad X1C7

Options

156 Posts

05-06-2008

Canada

772 Signins

15865 Page Views

• Message 5 of 18

2008-05-29, 21:58 PM

wrote:
BHerer,

it's very unlikely that the BIOS update caused an issue.   when a BIOS creates a problem the computer has serious hardware issues such as failing to boot, odd fan speeds, a blank display, password issues, etc.   if you're getting windows to boot and a previous system restore works then the problem was caused by another update.

do you recall what updates other than the BIOS were listed in TVSU?   were any of them marked as 'critical' or were they under the 'recommended' or 'optional' tabs?

part of the dilemma with updating drivers is that these drivers are tested by lenovo using base systems with no conflicting hardware installed.   given the billions of third-party hardware and software combinations, it's possible that one of the lenovo drivers could have conflicted with something installed on your system after it left lenovo's factory.   a scenario like this makes it very difficult for both lenovo technicians and the forum community to diagnose a problem like yours given the immense variables involved.   it's still diagnosable -- it's just extremely difficult to do without knowing more information.

on that note, please run TVSU again and post back with a list of drivers suggested for installation including the tab they are listed under.   don't follow through with any of these updates until the list can be examined. ;)

I understand but if it's not the BIOS then why did Norton Ghost cause the same issue? Right now my computer is working fine but I want to be able to update my software/drivers and install Norton Ghost. I just don't understand how it's the drivers when I installed Norton Ghost and that caused my computer to do the same thing the update did.

I restored factory settings and it worked perfectly fine. Then I installed Norton Ghost and it made my computer boot up like it did when I installed the drivers.

This is why I am thinking it's the BIOS. First off, I used Recovery CD's and I restored it to default. That means there are no new drivers + updates installed. So then I installed Norton Ghost and it caused the issue again.

Message Edited by BHerer on 05-29-2008 06:13 PM
Options

5884 Posts

11-24-2007

US

12809 Signins

291260 Page Views

• Message 6 of 18

2008-05-29, 22:26 PM
knowing that, the problem could be with norton ghost.   did you have ghost installed and working before the last batch of updates?

i'd still like to see a list of the updates suggested by TVSU.   i'm 99% sure the BIOS update has nothing to do with your problem.   btw, what BIOS version is currently installed?

Message Edited by erik on 05-29-2008 06:27 PM

Options

156 Posts

05-06-2008

Canada

772 Signins

15865 Page Views

• Message 7 of 18

2008-05-29, 22:32 PM

wrote:
knowing that, the problem could be with norton ghost.   did you have ghost installed and working before the last batch of updates?

i'd still like to see a list of the updates suggested by TVSU.   i'm 99% sure the BIOS update has nothing to do with your problem.   btw, what BIOS version is currently installed?

Message Edited by erik on 05-29-2008 06:27 PM

No, I did not have Norton Ghost installed with my last batch of updates. But why would it work on my home computer that has Vista? I have the latest BIOS version, 7LETB7WW (2.17-1.08). I don't mean to be argumentative, but what would a list of my TVSU do for you? How would you know from that list what the problem would be?

What I am trying to say is that updates are causing this problem and so are programs like Norton Ghost. It's not only the updates that are causing my computer to boot up on that freeze. The Norton Ghost did that also.

Message Edited by BHerer on 05-29-2008 06:40 PM
Options

5884 Posts

11-24-2007

US

12809 Signins

291260 Page Views

• Message 8 of 18

2008-05-29, 22:43 PM
it's very possible that ghost can work on one vista-based system and not another.   i'm not going to rule that out just yet.   one thing i've learned with computers is to never make assumptions.

without your thinkpad in-hand, asking questions and receiving answers is the only means to an end.   providing a list of suggested updates may not be the ultimate answer but it's a start.   asking me why i'm asking you questions isn't getting you anywhere. ;)

if you're confident that the BIOS update is the problem then roll it back to 2.14 and see if anything improves.   the file can be downloaded directly here: http://download.boulder.ibm.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/7luj15us.exe

Message Edited by erik on 05-29-2008 06:53 PM

Options

156 Posts

05-06-2008

Canada

772 Signins

15865 Page Views

• Message 9 of 18

2008-05-30, 20:11 PM
I found out the problem, now I need a fix. Whatever it is, an application or a driver update EXT if it deeply integrates with my OS (Windows Vista), it causes my computer not to boot up properly. Is there a fix for this?
Options

156 Posts

05-06-2008

Canada

772 Signins

15865 Page Views

• Message 10 of 18

2008-05-31, 22:39 PM
The only update that does not work with my Laptop is the: "Thinkvantage Rescue And Recovery Update". Does anyone know why this is causing my laptop not to boot up properly.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete