Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
picpop
What's DOS?
Views: 1,782
Message 1 of 4

C-Disk usage on a T61

I am concerned about the amount of C-disk space that has been used.  The intalled software is Vista, MS Office Home & Bus 2007, Quicken, Familie Tree maker 2008, Adobe Element 6.  This takes up 4.076 GB according to the "Programs & Features" list.  Files take up 26.510 GB. This amounts to about 30 GB usage.  When I look at disk properties I have 9.16 GB free space left. On my 120 GB drive 60 GB are unaccounted for.  I find it hard to believe that Vista takes that much space.  The disk is formated in NTFS.  Can anyone tell me if this is normal? 

Thanks ... picpop

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,780
Message 2 of 4

Re: C-Disk usage on a T61

picpop, welcome to the forum,

I believe Rescue and Recovery has been nibbling away at your free space. R&R has a standard factory setting so that it will back-up your system every wednesday around mid-day.
Go into start-programs-think vantage-rescue and recovery, click on show all back-ups and you will see when and how many back-ups have been made. If you wish to you can copy the backips to somewhere else and then delete them. You can also cancel or change the scheduled back-ups if you wish to.
Hope this helps

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

picpop
What's DOS?
Views: 1,771
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for your reply Andy!

You are right 44.3 GB are take up by backups. this takes care of about 50% of the unaccounted disk space. Does Vista and the Lenovo additional software take up the remaining 45GB?

I do have a WD My Book USB attached backup drive.  I use it now for periodic backups.  Is there any advantage to doing backups on the C-disk?  

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,765
Message 4 of 4

Shadow copies??

Ok R&R is responsible for a part, another possibility is Vista's  shadow copies. See Ryengineer's post in Thinkpads.com in this thread

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals