Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JNPE
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,046
Message 1 of 5

Can't turn-on wireless.

Whoa……what happened? My 2yr-2mo old T61p has performed flawlessly until yesterday. Started auto shut downs, then freeze-ups. Thought I had a virus but couldn’t scan for some reason.

Called Norton and confirmed my account still valid. Couldn't explain inability to virus scan and suggested updating to their last release.

Began that process via DSL but then lost all ability to connect….wireless now off and will not turn on & can’t connect via Ethernet either. The net is fine, other devices are working.

Opened w/ last known good config. but still getting freeze-ups and no communications….all communications icons have red x’s and unable to roll back to prior drivers....none now exist.??

Anyone successfully overcome anything similar? Reinstall communications drivers is my 1st thought to reinitiate the Norton u'grade however I didn’t get the discs when I bought new from Lenovo.

Thanks

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,026
Message 2 of 5

Re: Can't turn-on wireless.

Hi JNPE, and welcome to the Lenovo User Community!

To help the community help you, what operating system and version are you using, and what's the 7-character model type of the T61p?

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
JNPE
Blue Screen Again
Views: 994
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the reply.

The T61p is a Typ 6459-CTO using Windows XP Pro  Version 2002, Service Pack 3.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 970
Message 4 of 5

go into your recovery console, by click on the blue thinkvantage button during startup, then select hardware diagnose, which should take into dos version of the pc-doctor diagnostic software, now a run check on the wireless card.

Also, download TPfancontrol, and check what temperature your laptop reaches, i think your laptop is overheating. 

To confirm this diagnose, download the Prime95, and run it and see whether that can cause your laptop shutdown again. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
JNPE
Blue Screen Again
Views: 926
Message 5 of 5

I think you got it.  My son loaded a temp monitor program and the temp reached 65C and rising when it shut down.  

My warranty expired in Dec. Think I will call Lenovo and see what my options are.

Thanks for your help.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale