Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
unprovoked
What's DOS?
Views: 507
Message 1 of 1

Cannot create recovery disk or uninstall or upgrade Rescue and Recovery

Hello,

I never created recovery disks when I purchased my T60 over three years ago.  I regret that.

Now I am wondering if it is possible to do so.  When I launch Create Recover Media (rrmedia.exe), it crashes immediately:

AppName: rrmedia.exe
AppVer: 1.0.0.1
ModName: unknown
ModVer: 0.0.0.0
Offset: 0018089a
EventID: 1000

I cannot request recovery disks from Lenovo, because my system is out of warranty now.

So I think it is either it is impossible to use rrmedia.exe at this point (since in the meantime, I've upgraded to XP SP3, etc) or I need to upgrade or reinstall Rescue and Recovery.  However, trying the latter opens up a can of worms:

1) Rescue and Recovery shows version 3.01.0037.  Running system update to patch to 3.01.0042 fails:

"A later version of 'Rescue and Recovery - Client Security Solution' is already installed on this machine.  The setup cannot continue."

2) When I try to uninstall RR from Add/Remove programs, it fails:

"Another version of this product is already installed.  Installation of this version cannot continue.  To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel"

3) When I try to upgrade to the latest 4.xx, it says I must first uninstall the current version, which from the above, I cannot do.

So the machine is confused as to which version it has, and it won't let me upgrade, uninstall, or reinstall.

In summary:  Is it impossible at this point to create recovery media, or does it "simply" (ha ha) need a reinstall of Rescue and Recovery?  If reinstall would help, how can I actually reinstall it successfully?

Thank you!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals