Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alexmat01
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,336
Message 1 of 9

Changing the Boot Sequence in Thinkpad 600

Hello Everyone.

I have a TP 600 and my harddisk crashed so I had to get a new one. Now I am trying to install OS onto it, but when I try to change the boot sequence from the BIOS, (pressing F1 on booting and then clicking on the Start Up option) , I am unable to change the start up sequence.

I can see that HDD is alloted to the first sequence and I can see other options like CDROM etc, and when I try to select the CDROM option , it doesnt replace the HDD with CDROM as the first sequence.

How do I go about this ? I have been researching for almost 2 days with no luck !!

Thanks in anticipation,

Alex

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 6,333
Message 2 of 9

Re: Changing the Boot Sequence in Thinkpad 600

alexmat01, welcome to the forum,

You need to point the "birdie" at and click on the reset option first (right of top row), this will clear the current boot order. You can then click on the drives in the order you want them to be in the new boot order. i.e. the first drive you click on will be moved into pos. 1, the second into pos. 2 and so on.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

alexmat01
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,330
Message 3 of 9

Thanks Andy for the quick reply but this doesnt work. I had tried this before. I guess you mean the flag and not the birdie since I get the birdie on the Easy Setup screen which is the first screen. When I go into the Start Up  from there, I selected the Reset using the arrow keys, pressed enter, and it returned me back to the 'Power On' (this is one of the two options you get when you click on Start Up from the first screen). I went in and selected CD ROM this time and again was returned back to Power On . Selected this again and hit enter to see if the order has changed but it hasnt !!

I been all over the internet searching out options for this but have been unsuccessful.Hence the post on this forum. 

Am I doing this right ? Should I use any other function key for this ? 

Thanks

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 6,326
Message 4 of 9

Sorry, yes I meant the flag.

You need to use the TrackPoint and it's buttons or use the Tab button to highlight the item and Spacebar to select it.

i.e. Use Tab untill it highlights "Reset" and then hit the Spacebar, this will clear the fields. You can then use Tab to select the drives and use Spacebar to enter them into the list.

Hope this helps.

edit: Typo

Message Edited by andyP on 09-24-2008 12:56 PM

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

alexmat01
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,323
Message 5 of 9

Thanks !!!!!

Atlast I could change this.
Now I got the mammoth task of installing Win 98 on it. Would you also be able to let me know if 98 is supported on this thinkpad and where would I be able to make a bootable CD for the same. I have the Windows 98 CD but I dont have the bootable CD for the same (has diskettes but my thinkpad lacks floppy drive !)

Btw its nice to find someone from good old Dusseldorf . Used to stay in Jacobistrasse and absolutely loved the rhine side at the city , not to mention the french fries in the winter :-)

ale

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 6,321
Message 6 of 9

Do you have access to a pc which has a floppy and a burner?

You could copy the win98 folder from the cd to the pc and using a win98 boot disk create your own bootable cd using Nero or similar.

alexmat01 wrote:

Btw its nice to find someone from good old Dusseldorf . Used to stay in Jacobistrasse and absolutely loved the rhine side at the city , not to mention the french fries in the winter :-)

ale

Smiley Surprised small world. Our shop used to be on Jacobistrasse, corner of Louise-Dumont-strasse next to the dance school and opposite the banks.

Andy  

Forum Search Option

PepperonI blog 

alexmat01
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,306
Message 7 of 9

Yes I do have a PC that I am using now for research and it had burner but no floppy :-(. I have Nero to burn this as well.

Can I create a bootable CD from the Win98 CD  I have and then use it on the think pad ?
Wud you know how to go about creating a bootable CD from this ? I saw a website http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm that lists boot disks for many versions of windows but not sure if thats the way to go. 

Any pointers to this would help me. 

Yes small world indeed. Must have seen your shop since I used to frequent the citi and deutsche at jacobistrasse.! Oktoberfest is just around the corner you must have a good time :-)

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 6,302
Message 8 of 9

Oh ha, it's been a loooong time since I created a boot cd, but here goes with an idea that should work.

Download and unpack a boot disk into a folder. Copy the win98 folder to the PC. You should then mark the contents of the win98 cd in Nero, to be burnt, and tell it to create a bootable cd getting it's boot files from the folder you unpacked the boot disk to.

In theory it should work.

Andy  

Forum Search Option

PepperonI blog 

alexmat01
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,230
Message 9 of 9

Thanks this worked for me !!!

Thanks a lot to Andy and others who made it easy for me.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals