Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

33 Posts

09-08-2008

USA

81 Signins

274 Page Views

• Views: 274
  • Message 1 of 1

Curious shutdown problem repeated

2008-12-20, 21:07 PM

I set up my T61 mid-September. On 12/4, it shut down suddenly, and upon restarting, audio and modem were lost. Called Lenovo support, and had to remove computer from mini-dock to read serial number. They gave me numbers of 2 drivers to download; however, after hanging up, replacing computer on mini-dock, and restarting, the audio and modem had both miraculously reappeared. All appeared to be well -- until 12/17, when it shut down again. Same results after restarting -- no audio; no modem. So I removed the computer from the mini-dock, reattached, and voila! - all is back to normal. No problems since. I would sure like to know what is causing this sporadic problem so I can fix it or avoid it before it becomes more serious.

I have been using the computer on my desktop only -- have not removed it from the mini-dock since original setup except for those 2 problems. I use an external keyboard and mouse. The first time it happened, I was simply keyboarding. The second time, I was putting a Zip disk into an attached Zip drive. The first time, it went immediately to a dark screen. The second time, the screen went blue with some kind of error message; unfortunately, it disappeared before I realized what had happened and could read the message  I do know it was lengthy and appeared to fill the screen.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? (The second time, I immediately checked for a possible heat problem, but it did not seem any warmer than any other day -- and it's on every day, all day [unless a  heating problem is not that obvious; have never had one on a computer, so don't know what to look/feel for].)

Thanks in advance.

T61 widescreen - Intel Core 2 Duo CPU - 2.20 GHz XPpro SP3 - 2g RAM - Advanced Mini Dock
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms