Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

03-28-2008

USA

4 Signins

43 Page Views

• Views: 43
  • Message 1 of 3

DO NOT UPDATE THE LATEST ATI DRIVER 8.3 BY LENOVO SYSTEM UPDATE

2008-03-28, 1:03 AM
Please be aware that if you use lenovo update software updating the latest ATI catalyst driver, you may get blue screen crash constantly on windows xp sp2 platform.

I recently had encountered this problem on my Thinkpad T60  (X1400 graphic), after several blue screens, I did a fresh system resotre to manufacture state, run all patches and still got the same error.  I finally decided to caputre the whole memory dump and used the windows debugger to trace the file, this is the error message I got in the debugger
BUCKET_ID: 0x7f_d_ati2mtag+102550
I immediately realize that this is cauesd by my latest update from lenovo a week ago. I uninstalled all ATI entries in ADD/Remove software, and restart the windows in normal mode. When windows find new hardware just let windows download the driver from web, so far it solved the problem.

Lenovo should do a better job than just shove a copy of ATI driver to the update repository without test it.
Also, if you use lenovo system update software updating any one or any combination of the following software:
 wireless card driver/hot key driver/access connection software, please do not expect it will work right after you run the update. In most castes, your fn+f5 is gonna to break or your access connection cannot load. If you need to update those, just uninstall all of the above components first , restart and use system update to update all of the above in one batch..
This problem almost exists from the day one i got my thinkpad, and surprisingly lenovo seems deaf to all those complains all over the inetnet, and the problem is still here today!

Message Edited by wuyuren on 03-27-2008 06:08 PM

Message Edited by wuyuren on 03-27-2008 06:09 PM
Options

4096 Posts

01-05-2008

Germany

22146 Signins

317290 Page Views

• Views: 317290
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: DO NOT UPDATE THE LATEST ATI DRIVER 8.3 BY LENOVO SYSTEM UPDATE

2008-03-28, 11:00 AM
Hello,

first, no :  my book with X1400 works with Ati driver 8.442.3, no crashes so far. Works like a charm.
                There must be something wrong with your software installation.

second, yes : wlan, access connections and hotkey driver have to be installed in a specific order.
But this is explainend on the Lenovo driver side. Though system update often don´t install them in this way.

Message Edited by Agotthelf on 03-28-2008 04:02 AM

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using Lenovo Yoga C930, ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T460s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Options

1 Posts

03-29-2008

USA

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: DO NOT UPDATE THE LATEST ATI DRIVER 8.3 BY LENOVO SYSTEM UPDATE

2008-03-29, 17:45 PM
I too am having problems with the latest update, however they are very different from the OP.

I go from a docking station with an LCD attached to stand-alone use many times per day. Every time I return to the docking station since the update, I have to go through the entire process of getting the LCD recognized, desktop expanded and Monitors switched so that I can view both screens at once. Even after all that I find my desktop layout changed gratuitously and the size of the LCD monitor wrong so I have to correct the resolution and find my icons again.

This just worked seamlessly previously and is now a major annoyance (12 mouse clicks  to achieve it).

Worse, I can't find any method for reverting to the previous version that doesn't involve undoing other automated updates.

Please
1. Test the next update.
2. Fix this ASAP

(Added on edit)
Details: T43 Windows XP PRO SP2

Message Edited by dickh on 03-29-2008 10:47 AM
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms