Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oct
Serial Port
Views: 7,627
Message 1 of 5

ERROR 2102 for new 7200 hdd in ultrabay

Hi.

Yesterday I received 2 x 7200rpm hdds. I intended to use both of them, 1 in main bay and 2nd in ultrabay, but I ran in some issues.

For some reason, at a regularly basis I'm getting "ERROR 2102 Initialization error on HDD1 (Ultrabay hard drive)", i mean not every time, but every 2nd or 3rd try.

I noticed that when it is NOT recognized, green led is much brighter, it looks the same when optical drive is ready and idle(not working).
On the other hand when it's darker, but still has some light there, it works fine, it is recognized and I can boot into OS with not problems. 2nd case looks the same as optical drive is under usage, when you copy something from a CD/DVD.

I have a feeling that it's because it doesn't power up ultrabay drive properly.

Oh, the "Ultrabay Slim SATA HDD Adapter" is not from IBM (I bought it on ebay), can this be the problem? I would be more convinced if it wouldn't work at all, but not in this case, although I may be wrong. I guess this will be the last option i have, it just costs about 55$, it's kind of expensive try.

Does anyone know any solution for this? Any thoughts are welcome.

Thank you in advance.
Message Edited by oct on 02-17-2009 11:21 AM
StillThinking
What's DOS?
Views: 7,158
Message 2 of 5

Re: ERROR 2102 for new 7200 hdd in ultrabay

This is an older post but I found the reason anyway.

I've been running a Seagate Momentus 7200.4 ST9320423AS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s in my T61's primary bay for months without issue.

I recently added an additional HDD with an Ultrabay purchased directly from Lenovo.

The new drive, a Seagate Momentus 7200.4 ST9500420AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s resulted in the same error you are receiving.

"ERROR 2102 Initialization error on HDD1 (Ultrabay hard drive)"

The problem for me is that the ThinkPad Serial ATA Hard Drive Bay Adapter only supports 1.5Gb/s of thoughput while the new drive is 3.0Gb/s

ConnectDon
Greps Everything
Views: 7,135
Message 3 of 5

@StillThinking wrote:

I recently added an additional HDD with an Ultrabay purchased directly from Lenovo.

(Emphasis added.)

Welcome to the forum!  Having a genuine Lenovo Ultrabay adapter takes one factor out of the equation, so that's helpful in formulating a solution.  You can force a 7200.4 drive to 1.5Gb/s by using a 2mm jumper (the smaller one) as described here.  That has been standard procedure for the drive in the Ultrabay for those who have tried to use two 7200.4 drives together.

Unfortunately, it hasn't  been enough to solve the issue.  It should be enough, as the main drive should auto negotiate 1.5Gb/s.  Perhaps the auto negotiation is not working properly on the 7200.4 with a drive in the Ultrabay.  Therefore, my suggestion is to use a jumper on the main drive as well.

Don

njr
Serial Port
Views: 7,081
Message 4 of 5

@ConnectDon: Hmmm... perhaps this might fix the problem that I'm having with my new SSD in the ultrabay?! Is this jumper setting standard on Sata II interfaces? If so, I'd like to try it - please would you repost the link / instructions as the Seagate website link throws up an error (session timeout or somesuch). Many thanks, njr.

ultrabaygrrr
Paper Tape
Views: 5,854
Message 5 of 5

I have a Seagate 640GB Momentus drive in my ultra bay.  My experience is that it cannot be hot swapped, either inserted or removed while in a Windows session (Win XP 32-bit). 

In order for the drive to show up and work I had to do the following on a t61

Shutoff laptop

Insert Ultrabay with HDD

Start Laptop

Go to BIOS Setup

Ensure drive was listed in the startup order (last) -- i have no idea why but this seemed to be one of the steps that worked.  maybe it was simply the fact I cold booted the time I got the drive to work.  I haven't unset this parameter as it's not necessary.

Restart

Drive is now detected by windows via disk management

If I now pop the drive out and reinsert it (hot swap) it won't show up.  Just seems to be the limitation but it's generally not a big deal.  I use my dvd/burner drive about 3x a year now a days anyway.

Hope that helps someone.

PS I didn't have to change any jumpers on the seagate drive to limit it to SATA 1 (i wanted to but didn't have a mini jumper readily available).

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors