cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gryphon410
Paper Tape
Views: 68,036
Message 1 of 6

Error Code: 0000 Read Verification Failed - How do I backup my files now?

My T61 got the blue screen of death and restarted only to give me a disk read error and prompt me to hit ctr-alt-del to restart the Laptop.  No matter what I tried, I continued to get this error even when trying to hit F8 to give me the option to start in safe mode.

I tried doing a BIOS check on the hard drive and got the Error Code: 0000 Read Verification Failed.  Now I'm stuck with no way to get my Laptop booted to Windows or Dos and at the very least I need to get some files on there before I hand it over to IT or someone else to fix it.  Can anyone tell me what I could do to get the files off?  Someone on answers.yahoo.com suggested I could remove the hard drive and put it in an external hard drive bay and connect it to my PC to get files off, but I'm not sure how to remove the hard drive from the Laptop. 

Thanks,

Doug

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 67,916
Message 2 of 6

Re: Error Code: 0000 Read Verification Failed - How do I backup my files now?

gryphon410, welcome to the forum,

what you are experiencing doesn't sound good Smiley Sad

Is your hard drive visible in BIOS? Press F1 at start and navigate to Startup > Boot to see if the hard drive is listed. BIOS simulator can be found here.

You should certainly try reseating the drive, it may have vibrated loose during transport, might help. Otherwise putting the drive in an external caddy attached to another system may help you get your files. Depending on the condition of the drive it is sometimes easier to get the files using a Linux cd, (e.g. Knoppix), rather than using windows. Instructions on how to remove / replace your hard drive can be found here.

You may also, after getting your files off, like to try Hitachi Drive Fitness Test to check the integrity of the drive. Even if you don't have an Hitachi drive it will tell youwhether or not it is good or bad.

Hope this helps, and I wish you luck

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

gryphon410
Paper Tape
Views: 67,908
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the quick reply.  I was able to get the HDD out of my laptop and into my external bay that I use for my SATA HDD that I have.  I tried hooking it up to two computers and was unable to get it to load up.  However when I swapped out the Laptop HDD for my regular SATA HDD it worked just fine and I'm able to view stuff - so I know it's not the external enclosure. 

What are my options now at this point? 

Thanks for the help,

Gryphon

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 67,847
Message 4 of 6

A question for clarification; do you mean that the drive which was giving the 0000 error could not be viewed using the external caddy, but another drive could be viewed using the caddy?

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

gryphon410
Paper Tape
Views: 67,841
Message 5 of 6

Correct.  The drive could not be viewed using the external caddy but another drive could be viewed just fine. 
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 67,830
Message 6 of 6

If you had set an hdd password the drive giving the 0000 error would not be able to be seen by other systems, if you didn't set a password and the drive cannot be seen by other systems it has probably died on you. Smiley Sad

If you have warranty on your system you need to call service and request a new drive.

Andy  

Forum Search Option

PepperonI blog 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals