cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
osric90
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,237
Message 1 of 3

Formating T60P with Windows XP Professional SP3 (necessary-only drivers!)

Hello!

I'm new to the forums but I'm not new when using my T60P.

I've decided to buy the latest version of the old good Windows XP (SP3) and format my actual T60P laptop with it. It's easy, I've done it before with other computers and other systems (I know, for instance, I need to change the compatibility for the HDD for it) but the main problem I have is that I really don't know which drivers I should install for all devices to work properly (including hotkeys, bluetooth, wireless, that ATMEL stuff that always brought me trouble before).

I only want to install all devices drivers and only the critical necessary software (like for the hibernation, sleep and other energy functions to become available and the hotkeys to work properly as the thinkvantage button, etc.)

The reason I want to do this is because when using Access Connections and others, my laptop became really, really slow... so I want all this "extra" out of the memory and the PC. Uninstalling them always leaves some junk files inside too, so I need to be very careful with that.

Does anyone know if there is a Wizard for the laptop to detect the necessary drivers and software to be installed? I've installed drivers one by one before in my T61 but installed really unnecessary ones too and had trouble with that.

What do I mean "Wizard". Like, for instance, the old, old ASPIRE 1800 laptop I have (from ACER) has this utility for download that you run (which has got all drivers needed; motherboard, sound, wan, lan, video, etc.) and then, the system automatically tells you what hardware you have installed and prompts you the option to install each one of them, so everything is 100% installed, complete, no missing and no exceed.

Thanks for your time and have a great day!

Oscar

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,214
Message 2 of 3

Re: Formating T60P with Windows XP Professional SP3 (necessary-only drivers!)

[edit]  Almost forgot:   Hi Oscar, and welcome!

That wizard is called ThinkVantage System Update.  Download, install, and run.  It will detect your machine type and OS, and offer a list of important and optional drivers and apps.  You can select which you want it to actually download.

If it doesn't get everything you need, have a look over the full driver matrix for your machine.  You may need to manually install a network driver first if XP doesn't install something usable.

ThinkVantage System Update 3.14

Product support Product: ThinkPad T60p Operating system: Windows XP

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

osric90
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,190
Message 3 of 3

Re: Formating T60P with Windows XP Professional SP3 (necessary-only drivers!)

Thank you so much! I'm into it right now.

I really can't believe how much the Thinkpad laptops rock, hahaha.

Bst rgrds,

Osric

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals