Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blackrockburner
Paper Tape
Views: 539
Message 1 of 6

G40 Rescue and Recovery

I reciently aquired a G40.  It came with a set of R&R disks but disk 4 is corrupt.   The R&R partition is still there and I can view the files with a live LINUX disk.  However, the F11 restore function is not available.

I tried the recovery repair disk made with rrdisk in the IBM tools directory and it tells me that function is restored sucessfully however that still did not work. 

Is there an other way to restore the F11?

What file does the F11 use to trigger the R&R?

When the R&R disks are made the option to make another set is no longer available,  is there a way to restore that ability.

Does anyone know what is on the disk 4 of the R&R set?

Guru
Views: 532
Message 2 of 6

Re: G40 Rescue and Recovery

Welcome to the forum!

No clue on the contents of the disk 4, but the bottom line is that you need a working set of CDs to restore the machine.

What exactly happens when you press F11 on boot? How about "Access IBM" button, also on boot?

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
blackrockburner
Paper Tape
Views: 528
Message 3 of 6

When i press F11 on boot nothing happens.
When I press Access IBM I can access the Bios screen but no option to restore system.

If I were to order a set of disks, would they still be service pack 1a or would they be a more recent service pack?

Because the disks 1, 2 & 3 work I can reload the operating system just fine even without disk #4 without reactivating F11.

But not knowing what disk 4 would do for me bugs me.

I only paid $35 for the G40 on ebay and I would prefer to spend as little on it as I can.
Guru
Views: 519
Message 4 of 6

The disks - wherever you get them from - will still contain the original version of XP from many years ago.

I doubt that you can properly load the OS with a disk missing, but I might be wrong.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
blackrockburner
Paper Tape
Views: 509
Message 5 of 6

I loaded the system from the first three disks just fine! 

i just don't know what the fourth disk will do for me.

If I have to buy new disks, I might just as well buy a full copy of XPP SP3 off ebay (just as long as it has the original COA with it).

Guru
Views: 502
Message 6 of 6

I don't believe that I've ever restored a G40 from the factory media, but I recall G41 having 7 or 8 disks...

It is entirely possible that the last disk is a "supplemental" one and that you'll do just fine without it. Some older machines (R40) had this type of a setup.

Just download all the updated drivers and utilities from Lenovo's website and you'll be good to go.

Cheers,

George

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals