Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
G41Thinkpad
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,469
Message 1 of 18

G41 Motherboard

I have a Thinkpad G41 with a bad motherboard and I decided to try and fix it now.  On the back after removing a panel it has  27R2069 listed as the motherboard model.  Also written on the back of the machine is Type 2886-79U S/N L3-AR724.  Someone said it has a Prescott External VGA 93P4275 nVidia. Go5200.  

When I do searches on 27R2069 it says a 27R1872 motherboard is also compatible with it.  I have found a 27R1872 motherboard for a very good price and wanted to know if they are in fact compatible and if I would have any problems putting a 27R1872 motherboard in my G41 which says it has a 27R2069 mb.

Thank you

Guru
Views: 5,449
Message 2 of 18

Re: G41 Motherboard

Welcome to the forum!

How have you determined that the motherboard, and not the GPU itself, is bad?

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
G41Thinkpad
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,434
Message 3 of 18

I am fairly certain it is a bad motherboard.  It makes 3 beeps when you turn it on, the fan comes on, nothing comes on blank screen, and the green power light stays lit.  I was told this indicates a bad motherboard.  I took it to staples or office depot and they ran a test and said it was a bad motherboard also so I am almost positive it is the motherboard.  I took the battery and hard drive out and did the hitting the power 10 times for 10sec and 30secs for the last time and then plugged it in and started it up to where it still just beeped 3 times.  I don't know how to test if it is the GPU.

G41Thinkpad
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,407
Message 4 of 18

This is getting pretty frustrating.  I have called at least 20 laptop parts/repair places and nobody can answer this question if I would be okay putting a 27R1872 motherboard in my G41 that came with a 27R2069 motherboard. Some people said it should be okay since it says they are compatible while one guy said I would not be able to boot my computer up if I used the 27R1872 and I would have to reload Windows which I don't want to do because I don't have the disc and I am not going to pay for it.  I hope at least someone is able to answer this question or has tried it before because I see motherboards that are listed as being compatible with other models everywhere.

Guru
Views: 5,397
Message 5 of 18

I can guarantee you that you won't have to re-load Windows. If the OS worked on the previous motherboard with no glitches, it will work again.

Honestly, you've got little or nothing to lose. Without a spare GPU to test (there was one offered on TPF for $20) you have to go "blind" into the motherboard swap.

G4x series were not well-loved and popular even when they were new (a sin in my opinion, but I'm a minority here) and the collective knowledge of them and the tricks to be applied is minimal.

If the machine were mine, I'd risk $20 (no affiliation with the seller on my part) and buy that GPU from TPF and try  the swap first. If that wouldn't get me anywhere I'd buy a new planar. But that's me.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
G41Thinkpad
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,382
Message 6 of 18

From what I read about others whose GPUs fail or have problems there are indications first like lines, red dots, dead pixels, or problems with the screen, picture looks odd and is messed up, trouble performing operations before it goes?  My Thinkpad really did not have any indications it was going to go bad except I think once it beeped and I could not shut it down unless I closed it.

In my case the computer was working fine at one moment and then the screen just went blank and it could not be rebooted again, I believe there may have been a beep before it went blank.  It then makes 3 beeps when turning it on but nothing comes on screen which I was told was the motherboard by IBM, another place said it was the motherboard after running some kind of test.  Could this also be a bad GPU?  Is there anyway of telling if its the GPU?

I am not familiar with testing the GPU. 

I am not familiar with all the different parts, is the planar separate from the motherboard.  After looking up planar I could not really find anything solid what it is and it kept being lumped in with motherboards.  Replacing the whole motherboard should be less then $100 if I do it myself from some of the prices I have seen, with the 27R1872 I can get a refurbished one for $58 which would be great if I can fix it for that amount, the 27R2069 is about $40 more.

Guru
Views: 5,366
Message 7 of 18

"Planar" is an IBM-term for motherboard.

Given that you've lost video entirely, I'd give replacing the GPU a shot. Count yourself amongst the few lucky people, since GPU is usually soldered to the motherboard on ThinkPads, but not on nVidia-based G41 units.

If I ever get to building my G41 FrankenPad, I would want to have a "spare" graphic card, but that's your call.

I have no intention of being rude or condescending, but places that you took that unfortunate G41 to have next to no knowledge of ThinkPads in general, let alone of a rare bird like G41.

My $0.02 only. Your G41 and your $$...

Cheers,

George

G41Thinkpad
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,357
Message 8 of 18

Do you have any links to that GPU for the G41.  I searched and have not found anything on getting a G41 GPU on google or TPF.  I saw where you replied on another site I should do the removing battery and hard drive and then hitting the power button 10 times and trying to plug it in and start it, was this to test the GPU?  If I can't get the GPU I guess I am going to go ahead and order the motherboard and see what happens.

Guru
Views: 5,348
Message 9 of 18

Here you go:

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=85746

The re-setting procedure is not for the GPU per se, but for the entire machine.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

G41Thinkpad
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,242
Message 10 of 18

I put the motherboard I ordered in and it did not work.  Now the fan stays on constantly when I turn it on and it beeps 4 times, then 3 times, once, and then 4 more times(4-3-1-4).  Still nothing comes on the screen and it won't boot up.  Any ideas what could be wrong.   I still don't understand why nothing is coming up on the screen with the new motherboard.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals