cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guru
Views: 1,608
Message 11 of 18

Re: G41 Motherboard

Try replacing the GPU if you have a spare, and see where that gets you.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
G41Thinkpad
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,602
Message 12 of 18

I tried swapping my original GPU into the new motherboard to see what happened and the same thing (4-3-1-4) beeps and the fan runs constantly. My laptop also won't shut down when you close it up and must be manually shut down by holding the power button.

Unfortunately I noticed some kind of transistor loose on my original motherboard. The other side of the connection piece is broke but it is still staying connected to the motherboard from the other side. I am pretty sure I did this when trying to remove my original motherboard because it did not want to come out and kept getting stuck. I eventually got it out but it got bumped a little hard when I tried to pull it out. 

The transistor or whatever it is is raised, round, silver and has a purple line at the edge. Would I be able to glue it down or solder the other half back onto the motherboard. Looks like I am unable to post a pic from my computer. The numbering on the chip is 511 
                                                     SVP
                                                     20                It is next to numbering on the motherboard that says PC275 

G41Thinkpad
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,595
Message 13 of 18

I reinstalled the original motherboard and switched in the new GPU from the new motherboard and it still did not fix it. Now I get 4 slow beeps when I turn it on, nothing on the screen, and the fan stays on. I don't get it. Any ideas?

The GPU for the G41 is the piece about 6 inches long with the large black  nVidia GeFORCE FX  Go 5200 chip correct?

G41Thinkpad
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,527
Message 14 of 18

I was reading up on motherboard failures and saw this and believe bad knockoff capacitors may be what went  wrong with my motherboard.  I think I may try soldiering a new one on my motherboard to see what happens.

http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/capacitor-failures-plague-motherboard-vendors-2003027/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_30328/article.html

http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/341368

Prmetime
Paper Tape
Views: 1,071
Message 15 of 18

I had the exact same problem with my G41.  Everthing was fine and all of a sudden the screen went black.  When I shut it down and turned it back on, I got the samme sequence of three beeps.  Accordind to the Lenovo web site, it was a bad motherboard.  I decided to have the machine reparied a year later.  It turns out that both the Mother board AND the graphics card went bad.  For the price I paid in repairs, I could have gotten a new computer and I hope it lasts me longer than it did the first time (only three years).  Still, I'm reasonably happy with the machine so I'm not complainng.

G41Thinkpad
Fanfold Paper
Views: 837
Message 16 of 18

I gave up on my G41 for a while but I may try to fix it again.  I still need to test the memory and CPU.  Not sure if I want to try another motherboard, this is very frustrating.

So your G41 had the same issues as mine, it beeped and then suddenly shut down, would not reboot anymore, no screen image, but fan and green light does come on?   Was there any indication it was going to fail like screen issues or lockups, mine just went out of the blue except I think one time I could not shut it down by hitting the power button and had to shut it to get it to shut down.  I am sorry you had to pay for a new Motherboard and graphics card from IBM, I know that would have been expensive and basically not even worth it.  Hope your computer lasts longer after shelling out all that money on repairing something that should not have broke in the first place. 

Is there anyway of testing if the graphics card is bad?  Don't know why mine would have went since it was not old or used much.

susanzb
Paper Tape
Views: 698
Message 17 of 18

hmmm I've been having problems with my think pad booting up after going into sleep mode I was hoping it was just a battery issue.  Now I am thinking it could be the motherboard.  Smiley Sad

Guru
Views: 693
Message 18 of 18

Welcome to the forum, susanzb!

What ThinkPad do you have? Which OS are you running?

Could you please tell us more about the issues you've been experiencing?

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals