Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
farhan
Punch Card
Views: 3,879
Message 1 of 28

Genuine battery notification on T61

hello, i bought a third party battery which is compatible with t61, but now the power guage keeps on displaying the message that the battery is not genuine. how can i remove this notification?

mFn
MarkATL
WWAN
Views: 3,875
Message 2 of 28

Re: Genuine battery notification on T61

You need to replace that battery. I'd recommend getting one from the Lenovo website (shop.lenovo.com). Where did you get this third party battery from? I would return it to the vendor you purchased it from.

Do NOT PM me with technical issues. Post in the forum for assistance. Thanks
farhan
Punch Card
Views: 3,860
Message 3 of 28

well lenovo is selling the same battery for 180$ and i got the same battery for 50$. plus the battery i originally had with my brand new laptop lasted only 8 months and now it runs only for 15 minutes. so i guess its unwise to spend 180$ for a battery which runs for such a short time. any other recommendations??
mFn
MarkATL
WWAN
Views: 3,846
Message 4 of 28

This was your original message:

------------

"i bought a third party battery which is compatible with t61, but now the power guage keeps on displaying the message that the battery is not genuine."

------------

So tell me, if this battery is "compatible", why are you getting the error message? I'd like to know your thoughts about using "genuine" Lenovo products and NOT using 3rd party.

Mark

Do NOT PM me with technical issues. Post in the forum for assistance. Thanks
farhan
Punch Card
Views: 3,840
Message 5 of 28

this is the message that is displayed infront of the power manager on the taskbar

"The battery installed in this computer is not genuine Lenovo battery and may not meet Lenovo's safety and quality standards. Double click to learn about genuine Lenovo batteries"

with a black hazard sign.

well i've already mentioned that an original lenovo battery only ran for 7 or 8 months before dropping down to 15 minutes of backup. so i decided to buy a third party battery as it is 3 times cheaper and provides the same backup time.

mFn
lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 3,836
Message 6 of 28

the battery warranty is one year, so if you battery goes bad within that, you can get a new one under warranty. Also, the battery problem was due to some manufacuturing defect that occured with the battery cell producer, which affected not only Lenovo laptop batteries, but batteries used by Apple, Dell and Sony..

Also the newer Lenovo batteries have an embedded controller chip inside that monitors the battery temperature, to prevent overheating and fires. The quality of battery cells within third party battery pack can vary dramatically, some use OEM cells while others use cheaper cells..... for an example a Chinese Sanyo battery Cell (there are 6 used in a 6 cell battery) costs like 5 to 10 dollars, while a cheapest lithium ion cell is around i think 30 to 50 cents. 

The cheaper cells, use impure eletrolytes and rather impure matrix that holds the lithium ion... while this usually decrease battery life and in some cases cause excessive temperature (over 100 degrees in some cases), which may lead to fire.  

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
farhan
Punch Card
Views: 3,834
Message 7 of 28

well i would have replaced my lenovo battery but the problem is that the laptop was at my home and i was out of country for four months.. so i only got to use it for 8 months and the warranty worn out... my warranty expired in may and this problem started in the start of july... so i was really screwed up... so i had to buy a 3rd party battery... btw its written on the battery that its an OEM but there is still this error message that i posted earlier..
mFn
Views: 3,832
Message 8 of 28

these stickers are all fake, it is easy to print. 
Regards,

Jin Li

farhan
Punch Card
Views: 3,829
Message 9 of 28

btw whats the average temperature for a battery?
mFn
Views: 3,826
Message 10 of 28

normally under moderate ambient temperature (i.e. 25 degrees Celsius) and moderate CPU/GPU usage, it should not exceed 5~7 degrees from ambient temperature. If its not charging and on AC power, then the temperature should be within 3 to 5 degrees of ambient temperature. 
Regards,

Jin Li

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals