Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Message 1 of 13 (619 Views)

Grinding Sound

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T61 Laptop. When I work on the laptop, it suddenly start producing a grinding sound. It is coming form the Top-Left corner of the laptop. It is not coming all the time. It is not coming immediately when I turn it on. But if I use it for like 30 minutes, it will start producing the sound. It will produce this sound for the next 15 to 30 minutes and then gradually stop after that. This happens every day.

Is it a heatsink+fan issue? How can I fix this ?

Thanks.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 2 of 13 (595 Views)

Re: Grinding Sound

It sounds like your fan is failing. My fan has failed on my old Thinkpad x61 tablet. You can get the instructions here http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/42x3546_04.pdf look at page 88, the steps are there. PM me if you need any help. If you replace your fan remember to get new thermal grease.
Punch Card
Message 3 of 13 (590 Views)

Hello,

I can do the replacement myself.

Mine is a Lenovo Thinkpad T61 Standard laptop. Is this the correct manual for the "Standard" laptop ?

The heatsink seams to be good. So Will I be able to replace the fan alone ? Where can I buy the parts in India ?

Thanks.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 4 of 13 (585 Views)

The one for the standard one is here. http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/guides-and-manuals/detail.page?DocID=UM001177 page 84. The FRU for the fan is 42W2820 the heatsink and fan is one piece. Try ebay?
Bit Torrent
Message 5 of 13 (569 Views)

Be careful, there are two different fans for this model, one for Intel graphics, the other for nVidia graphics.

The part number 42w2820 and 42w2028 will both work on nVidia graphics, they are virtually identical but one has an extra guide for routing the antenna wires that isn't required on the 14" standard model. You can modify these to work with the Intel graphics, but if you need the part number for the Intel fan, I have a few of them and can check for you, unfortunately they aren't in front of me at the moment.

You can indeed replace just the fan, it's easily removed, held in place with aluminum foil tape and a few small crimped tabs. There are a few different fans though so finding the correct one is difficult since most who sell them online don't know one from another and most ebay listings are incorrect.

You can also remove your fan and clean the dust and debris out of it and put a drop of thin oil on the shaft. This will often get you a couple more years use out of it. You'll also need some good Thermal paste for your CPU and GPU chips when you reinstall the heatsink.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.
Punch Card
Message 6 of 13 (542 Views)

TuuS wrote:

Be careful, there are two different fans for this model, one for Intel graphics, the other for nVidia graphics.

The part number 42w2820 and 42w2028 will both work on nVidia graphics, they are virtually identical but one has an extra guide for routing the antenna wires that isn't required on the 14" standard model. You can modify these to work with the Intel graphics, but if you need the part number for the Intel fan, I have a few of them and can check for you, unfortunately they aren't in front of me at the moment.

Yes, please provide me those part numbers. I think mine is Intel. lspci shows the following in my laptop.

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 0c)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82566MM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 03)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 03)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f3)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HBM (ICH8M-E) LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)
15:00.0 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II (rev b6)

TuuS wrote:

You can indeed replace just the fan, it's easily removed, held in place with aluminum foil tape and a few small crimped tabs. There are a few different fans though so finding the correct one is difficult since most who sell them online don't know one from another and most ebay listings are incorrect.

Is there a different part number for the fan alone ? I searched internet, but all are heatsink+fan together.

TuuS wrote:

You can also remove your fan and clean the dust and debris out of it and put a drop of thin oil on the shaft. This will often get you a couple more years use out of it. You'll also need some good Thermal paste for your CPU and GPU chips when you reinstall the heatsink.

I think I should try this first. But do I have to remove anything on the fan to  put the oil ? Will the oil collect more dust ?

I have a thermal paste, which is commonly used on the top of Desktop Processors.

Thanks for help.

Bit Torrent
Message 7 of 13 (531 Views)

The fan alone is not sold by lenovo, but other distributors do sell them however finding one that knows which one you need isn't easy. I've purchased fans and been sent the wrong one several times. 

Your system does have Intel graphics so those numbers previously mentions aren't the one you need. I'll get you the numbers from one but it may take a couple days, I don't have one here at the moment, but if you're unable to find one locally, I can get the for only $20 for the heatsink fan assembly, and would probably be willing to send you one but the international shipping would cost more then the part does.

If you're going to clean out your existing fan, you'll find there are several metal tabs and two strips of foil tape holding it in place. You can sometimes peel back the tape and reuse it, but this isn't easy to do and requires a lot of patience, so my preferred method is to release the metal tabs (fingernail will suffice), then cut one of the pieces of tape along the seam where the fan meets the heatsink and leave the other intact and it will work as a "hinge" allowing you to lift the fan and fold it over exposing the blades and the inner part of the radiators that are probably clogged. You can lift the blades off the fan motor to expose the shaft. I prefer to use something like a matchstick dipped in oil to apply a tiny amount of oil to the shaft, not enough to collect dust or to escape and flow elsewhere. When you reassemble you can use some "Kapton" (polymide film) tape to seal the broken piece of foil tape and I usually put a couple small pieces on other areas to assure you have a good firmly installed motor. You can then blow in the exhaust radiators (either or both) and listen to the fan spin to make sure it's spinning freely and not rubbing the housing, then reinstall.

I strongly recommend using Arctic Silver #5 brand thermal paste, it's made from 99.9% pure silver particles where the common pastes use ceramic particles. I've found AS5 to result in a system that runs much cooler. It cost a couple dollars more, but is well worth it.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.
Punch Card
Message 8 of 13 (519 Views)

[ Edited ]

TuuS wrote:

The fan alone is not sold by lenovo, but other distributors do sell them however finding one that knows which one you need isn't easy. I've purchased fans and been sent the wrong one several times.

Your system does have Intel graphics so those numbers previously mentions aren't the one you need. I'll get you the numbers from one but it may take a couple days, I don't have one here at the moment, but if you're unable to find one locally, I can get the for only $20 for the heatsink fan assembly, and would probably be willing to send you one but the international shipping would cost more then the part does.

So I understand that the partnumbers exist only for heatsink+fan. Please send me the part numbers. If it is cheap locally, then I don't have to spend time for cleaning. Also I would like to replace it with original Lenovo parts.

TuuS wrote:

I strongly recommend using Arctic Silver #5 brand thermal paste, it's made from 99.9% pure silver particles where the common pastes use ceramic particles. I've found AS5 to result in a system that runs much cooler. It cost a couple dollars more, but is well worth it.

I have been searching for a good thermal paste too. The local stores sell cheapest/worst stuff which costs 30 rupees in India. I have found some in ebay.

http://www.ebay.in/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=Arctic+Silver+%235+thermal+paste&_sacat=...

Is this the one you were talking about ? In the above url you can see sevaral arctics with price between 959 and 3,793 Rupees. Could you please suggest which one to buy ?

Thanks,

Bit Torrent
Message 9 of 13 (507 Views)

The Intel fan for a 14.1" standard (not widescreen) T61 is FRU 42w2821

That is the correct arctic silver thermal paste, but it seems prices are higher in your location. If I understand the currency conversion correctly, it would cost me less then 500 rupees including shipping for the thermal paste.

Punch Card
Message 10 of 13 (503 Views)

[ Edited ]

TuuS wrote:

The Intel fan for a 14.1" standard (not widescreen) T61 is FRU 42w2821

Thanks, I will search with this partnumber and buy it online. If I open my laptop, is there any partnumber written on the heatsink+fan (just to verify) ?

TuuS wrote:

That is the correct arctic silver thermal paste, but it seems prices are higher in your location. If I understand the currency conversion correctly, it would cost me less then 500 rupees including shipping for the thermal paste.

I think that is the import duty or may be the shipping cost included. None of them are from India. All the items are located in California. But I still don't understand why the price for 3.5grams is different for different sellers.