cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TmMny
Fanfold Paper
Views: 510
Message 1 of 2

HDD 'service area' (hidden partition) for Rescue&Recovery :: what format for XP on a T60 ?

Hello - I'm attempting to breathe new life into a pair of T60s [Both are 2006AY7] with new HDDs.

{One ... i dropped ; the second ... caught a sophisticated virus , i think}.

During this (yet unsuccessful) process , i began by installing the OEM Recovery disk (5? CD set) , and then a distribution of XP , which enabled partitioning and formating (DiskPart?). I intend to install XP and apps on one partition , and data on another , perhaps linux elsewhere at a later date.

The Recovery diskset seemed to want the service partition (host protected area?) as the first 10GB . I accidently/desperately later then began to install the XP system there .

My present plan of attack is to use an external bay to partition/format the new HDD using the XP tools from another  (functional) system , then install the new HDD in the (temporarily) deceased T60 , after which i'll again use the factory Recovery disk set to see how/if it procedes.

What file system should i format the service/HPA partition with/to? The XP primary partition will , of course , be formatted for NTFS.

Thanks for your patience!

-Tom  m , fr ny....

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 483
Message 2 of 2

Re: HDD 'service area' (hidden partition) for Rescue&Recovery :: what format for XP on a T60 ?

The recovery disks will wipe out any partitioning that you do. (BTW, it isn't an HPA)

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors