cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lescottr
Punch Card
Views: 4,244
Message 1 of 32

HELP ! WiFi Adapter Card for Thinkpad T42 ?

Hi everyone, 

I am new to this site, and new to laptops. I just bought a used IBM LENOVO T42 1,7GHZ 512MB 30 GB HD with XP PRO. I am confussed about the WiFi issue, as it seems like two cards are required (internal / external) to get wireless. I have been searching the internet trying to find out what external and/or internal card I need to buy, but have become frustrated because I don't understand the lingo.

I bought my computer off eBay with this description:  

IT ALSO COMES WITH WIRELESS CAPABILITY  TO CONNECT TO ANY WIFI NETWORK OR HOTSPOT AND CONNECT TO THE INTERNET  BY ADDING AN ADAPTER CARD.

And the specs say this, Expansion slots: one Type III PC Card slot

Can someone please shed some light on this for me, and tell me what to buy ?

Thx, Scott 

IBM LENOVO T42
1,7GHZ 512MB 30 GB HD
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,245
Message 2 of 32

Re: HELP ! WiFi Adapter Card for Thinkpad T42 ?

Hi Scott,

I don't have a T42 so I'm shooting from the hip here.  Maybe this will give you something to look into while we are waiting for someone with a clue to chime in...

From the description, you don't need to buy anything - except maybe a wifi router for your home network Smiley Happy  Presumably there is an internal wifi card already installed.  The expansion slot is a generic slot into which you could install any number of things. You won't need it for wifi unless the internal card is missing or defective - and if that's the case you would be better off to just replace it and leave the external slot alone.

EDIT:  I'm a moron.  Completely mis-read the part that said "by adding an a adapter card".  Sorry about the noise.

Poke around in device manager and see if it  shows a wifi network adapter.  Look for Access Connections in the windows quick-launch tray, launch it, and see if it knows about wifi.  (This is where I'm guessing a bit - did the T42 have Access Connections???)

A head-up: you are likely to get punted over to T61 and prior T series ThinkPads  .  This forum is for T400/T500 and newer.

Z.

Message Edited by zoltanthegypsy on 03-13-2009 06:38 AM

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Guru
Views: 4,239
Message 3 of 32

What's the 7-character model number of your T42? On the sticker on the bottom of the machine, along with serial (DON'T post the serial) and production date, starts with 237?-???

Good luck and let us know.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
lescottr
Punch Card
Views: 4,231
Message 4 of 32

Well we will have to wait a couple of days as I have not received my laptop yet, I got an e-mail that it is shipping today.

Thank for your help, I was just trying to get prepared while waiting for its arrival.

IBM LENOVO T42
1,7GHZ 512MB 30 GB HD
Retired Guru
Views: 4,221
Message 5 of 32

Sounds to me like it doesn't include the wireless card.......

IT ALSO COMES WITH WIRELESS CAPABILITY  TO CONNECT TO ANY WIFI NETWORK OR HOTSPOT AND CONNECT TO THE INTERNET  BY ADDING AN ADAPTER CARD.

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //
lescottr
Punch Card
Views: 4,219
Message 6 of 32

Yep ortegaluis, that the only think I am sure of.

What I need to know is if I need an external or internal card?, and what kind?, do you know ?

IBM LENOVO T42
1,7GHZ 512MB 30 GB HD
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,199
Message 7 of 32

@ortegaluis wrote:

Sounds to me like it doesn't include the wireless card.......

@ortegaluis, Thanks for underlining what should have been obvious (to me).

@Scott - sorry I mis-read your original post.  You will need to add an internal or external  wifi card.  like George said, post your model number.  He/you/we should be able to figure out what internal card is appropriate.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

lescottr
Punch Card
Views: 4,196
Message 8 of 32

Hey thanks Zoltan, I will certainly post my model number ASA I receive my laptop (hopefully tomorrow) Smiley Very Happy
IBM LENOVO T42
1,7GHZ 512MB 30 GB HD
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,185
Message 9 of 32

When your machine arrives - verify that someone hasn't already installed a wifi card Smiley Happy

@ajkula66 & all,

does the T42 maintain a (BIOS ??) whitelist that only tolerates certain models of wifi card?  Or worse yet - that only tolerates cards that have been breathed on by IBM/Lenovo?

Z.

Retired Guru
Views: 4,169
Message 10 of 32

Scott,

it's your choice if you want to install an internal or external card:

1. Internal card: This is located inside the covers so to install it you have to open up the Thinkpad. Here is the T40/41/42 Hardware Maintenance Manual that shows you how to install what is there called the Mini PCI adapter. Most T42s shipped with this card factory installed but probably your model didn't. As you can see from the manual there were several cards that the T42 could have shipped with, my T42 came with the Intel 2200BG card. The big advantage with this approach is you can use an internal antenna in the cover but you might have to install that too if your model shipped from factory without wireless. The FRU (spare part) number for the antenna assemblies (different for 14" and 15" display models) is also shown in the hardware manual and they can be ordered online from IBM/Lenovo and typically ship overnight. (I would wait and order the antenna assembly until you have opened the Thinkpad, it might be there also for models that shipped from factory without wireless card.)

2. External card: This you put in one of the PC card slots on the left side of the laptop. The disadvantage is it will stick out of the laptop and carries a small external antenna so you will always have to take it out whenever you pack up your laptop. The antenna might not have quite as good reception as the internal antennna.

Message Edited by zilla on 2009-03-13 07:12 PM

T500: Vista 32, 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 15.4" 1680x1050, 500GB 7200rpm, ATI Radeon HD3650 + Intel 4500MHD. T42: XP, 1.7GHz, 2GB RAM, 14.1" 1024x768, 250GB PATA, ATI Radeon 7500.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals