Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lawrenanne
Paper Tape
Views: 4,106
Message 1 of 13

Hard drive replacement in 600

I am trying to replace the 5 GB HD in my Thinkpad with an IBM Travelstar 20 GB drive, and load XP on it at the same time.  I installed the drive and booted from the XP CD.  When the computer tried to restart, though, I got a "code 5" error if I left the CD in the drive, and a "missing NTLD something" error when I tried to boot from the hard drive.  (Sorry, I'm also trying to do all this with two four year olds running around, and I forgot to write the exact error-- it was 5 letters and I've probably got them mixed up.)

Does anyone know what to do about this?  The pin configuration of the new drive looks exactly the same as the old one, and if I put the old drive back in, the CD drive works fine.  The Bios is set to boot from the CD first and the HD second.
Guru
Views: 4,101
Message 2 of 13

Re: Hard drive replacement in 600

Welcome to the forum!

My guess would be that you have to fully format your new HDD before installing XP. Also, is the copy you're using a retail one, or an IBM OEM?

Good luck and let us know.
Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
lawrenanne
Paper Tape
Views: 4,043
Message 3 of 13

Thanks for the reply, George.  I am using an XP CD downloaded by my brother off his corporate website.  The CD asked if I wanted to format the drive and I said yes, and did *not* use the "quick format" selection.  Is there another way to format the disk prior to running the CD?  I also ran a BIOS check and it tells me that all components are "OK".  I'm reasonably technically proficient but have never done this before and have no clue...
Guru
Views: 4,036
Message 4 of 13

I'm missing something here, and it's got to be fairly basic...

If you've set the CD as the primary booting drive in BIOS, you shouldn't be getting any error on re-boot. Is this the setting that you currently have?

"NDTLR is missing" basically means that the machine doesn't recognize the OS if one is installed...or that it isn't installed at all.

Good luck and let us know.
Cheers,

George

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
lawrenanne
Paper Tape
Views: 4,034
Message 5 of 13

The CD is set as the primary, definitely.  The "Code 5" error I'm getting on reboot makes me think that once XP is put on the hard drive, the computer for some reason won't recognize that the CD drive exists.  I read that this can happen if the pin configuration of the new drive is different from the old drive.  I don't even know if this applies in the case of a laptop (which this is), but the on visual inspection, all the pins look the same on both drives to me.  The 20 GB drive is thinner than the old 5 GB drive, but it seems to fit in the slot snugly anyway.

I do still have a floppy drive for this laptop, and if I can manage to find a handful of floppies somewhere I'll try booting off the floppies and seeing if I have more success that way.  Hard to find them these days, though!
Guru
Views: 4,021
Message 6 of 13

The pin configuration is definitely the same, your old drive is 12.5mm where the new one is 9.5mm, but that's the only difference...
Cheers,

George

lawrenanne
Paper Tape
Views: 3,998
Message 7 of 13

I just ran a series of various starts, hoping they would help diagnose the problem.
1)  Starting with the hard drive but no Windows CD in the CD drive gives this message:  NTLDR is missing/ Press ctrl alt del to restart.
2)  Starting with hard drive & XP CD gives this message:  CD Boot: Cannot boot from CD- Code: 5, then NTLDR is missing etc.
3)  Starting pressing F1 to get BIOS screen, the pressing restart gives this message:  Press any key to reboot from CD.  [press key]-> Setup Windows->Press enter to continue starting windows [enter]-> "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. ... Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defrag or backup utilities.  Check your hard drive configuration and check for any updated drivers.  Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, then restart your computer.  Technical information:  Stop: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE,0xF91C9664,0xF91C9360,0xF89953A1)  ntfs.sys- Address F89953A1 base at F893A000, DateStamp 41107eea
4) If I run steps in #3 but try "repair" instead of "windows setup" I get the same error.

Conceivably I could have either a bad CD or a bad hard drive, but I don't know how to tell which, if either.  Like I said before, if I run a bios check of the hard drive, it says it's OK, but I'm not sure how valid this is.
Guru
Views: 3,970
Message 8 of 13

You may also have a bad stick of RAM... Have you tried running CHKDSK /F ?
Cheers,

George

lawrenanne
Paper Tape
Views: 3,939
Message 9 of 13

I assumed that I had to have a functioning operating system in order to run any commands?  How do I get a command prompt?
Highlighted
tmaugham
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,716
Message 10 of 13

You probably have an old version of the BIOS which will not allow updating to WXP. Try going here http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/DSHY-3VRJPK.html to get the new version of the BIOS.

HTH,
Tom

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors