Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lawrenanne
Paper Tape
Views: 1,283
Message 11 of 13

Re: Hard drive replacement in 600

How do I do ANYTHING if I can't get a prompt?  I have tried multiple times to get into the recovery console, but all I get is a blue-screen error. I did a bit of research and have found a variety of things I might try, but for any of them I need a prompt.  Any ideas?
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,268
Message 12 of 13

Pardon me for asking a question that you've possibly already answered, but can you explain what you mean by "I am using an XP CD downloaded by my brother off his corporate website"?

1) Remove everything from the unit, memory, optical drive AND hard drive.

2) BOOT the bare unit into the BIOS. (Press and hold the F1 key down while powering on the unit, release after the MEMCOUNT completes and you hear the POST beep.) Yes, the unit will BOOT without the added memory you might have installed, it will use the base memory that's soldered to the motherboard.

3) If the unit successfully BOOTs in a stripped state, start adding accessories such as memory, etc., back one piece at a time to ensure that they're working correctly.

Do you know anyone who might have the ability to wipe that HD clean for you in order to attempt another XP install?

Regards,

James
Paper Tape
Views: 1,214
Message 13 of 13

Did it... finally got the new 20 Mb drive up and running XP.  I don't think that the BIOS was the problem since my old drive was running XP, too, but I went ahead and updated it, as recommended, once I found some floppy disks.  (That took a while.)  I also found an XP recovery program (I think on this Lenovo site although it might have been on Microsoft) that loaded on a floppy, for repairing or replacing the Master Boot Record.  Repairing didn't work, but replacing did.  Problem solved; after the MBR was replaced, XP loaded just fine.

Thanks, everyone, for all your help and suggestions.  I don't think I would have persevered without the support.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors