Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kungfo0
What's DOS?
Views: 46,940
Message 1 of 57

Help! T43 hard drive replacement

Hello

I have a T43 Thinkpad that I was wishing to upgrade the 80gb hard drive that came with it.

I have been reading up on all the difficulty of doing this, but so far my biggest set back is that every model HD I've looked for on the list of "supported" drives from http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-62282.html has been discontinued and is now impossible to buy anywhere.

On the rare occasion that I have found a compatible drive on E-bay, they tend to sell for over $300, which is a ridiculous price for an old, small (by today's standards), questionable warranty drive.

I was wondering if anyone on this forum knows of a supply to still get these drives?

Or, is anyone at Lenovo going to provide firmware for other model drives (and when)?
I was considering buying a 160gb Hitachi - HTS541616J9AT00, simply because Newegg is still selling them, (and who knows for how long until those are discontinued too).  However I'm nervous since there is no IBM firmware available for it and I don't know if there ever will be.  I know the 2010 post error can be bypassed but IBM goes out of its way to say the error is there for a reason and shouldn’t be ignored.

Also, using an ultrabay adapter is not an option for me, as I want to replace the boot drive and keep my dvd drive.

My laptop is still in extremely good condition and has many years of life left in it.  I'd really hate for such an expensive machine to become a paperweight over a weird hardware technicality.

Thanks for any help

wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 46,936
Message 2 of 57

Re: Help! T43 hard drive replacement

you can use any PATA harddrive from any brands, but you may need to flash the bios to make it recognize non lenovo sourced HDD..
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 46,933
Message 3 of 57

The drive needs to be P-ATA with a max height of 9.5mm

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

wjli2
Bit Torrent
Views: 46,931
Message 4 of 57

and that too of course....
sifuconman
Paper Tape
Views: 46,751
Message 5 of 57

Hitachi is a good bet. Never try WD --- it won't work  !!
jozone
Paper Tape
Views: 46,551
Message 6 of 57

I also need to upgrade my T43 from my current 60 gig Hitachi, and was looking at the 160 mentioned above.  I saw a post elsewhere that the 160 didn't work.  Should I worry?

wjli2:  When you say "flash the bios" do you mean simply to reflash the existing bios?  I'm already using the latest version.

I've resigned myself to the 2010 error.  Not many options on IBM's list are available at all, and the ones that are aren't much bigger than the one I currently have.

Any advice is welcome.
Guru
Views: 46,540
Message 7 of 57

Fujitsu 120Gb drives have been reported to work while giving no 2010 error in T43 units.

Another way to get rid of the error warning (but not of the issues that are causing it) is to downgrade your BIOS. However, this move has been warned against by several users. I've gone down that route in the past with no issues and would have no problem repeating it, but there are legitimate concerns about HD protection that go with this course of action.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
kungfo0
What's DOS?
Views: 45,531
Message 8 of 57

Just wanted to post an update..

I purchased a Hitachi 160GB 5400rpm IDE/PATA drive model number HTS541680J9AT00 from Newegg (at a very good price).

It installed and physically works great except that I did get the 2010 "hard drive not supported" error on system post.  You can change an option in the BIOS to only display the error for two seconds and then continue, however it still produces a very loud beep noise and is very annoying (there is no way to mute it).

I found a new version of the IBM drive firmware here

The interesting thing is that page shows that version 5.1 was put up on 3/07/08, however when I searched in May the newest version I could find was 5.0 dated from January.  Don't know when this new version snuck onto the site?

Anyway, I could not use the firmware's installer because it told me there was no firmware update available for my drive.  However I followed some instructions I found on another forum (specifically this post here) to manually flash the new firmware and it worked fine.  I am using the drive now without any issues and I no longer receive the error on system post.

Good luck to anyone to wants to do the same. 

dragonfire
What's DOS?
Views: 45,508
Message 9 of 57

Hmmm.... any idea if the Hitachi 160GB 7200rpm drive (HDS721616PLAT80) will work too? It's cheaper and faster than the 5400rpm drive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145161

Any suggestions would be really helpful... i have a t43 in need of a larger hdd. Thanks!

Guru
Views: 45,489
Message 10 of 57

dragonfire, welcome to the forum!

The drive you linked your post to is not a laptop, but a desktop drive....

Hard drives in 7200rpm PATA/IDE form are next to non-existant....it seems that all the manufacturers have dropped them.

You might just have to go with a large 5400rpm drive...

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals