Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
heji1987
What's DOS?
Views: 425
Message 1 of 2

Help with Driver/OS

I have bought my T61 14" for nearly 2 months. It is loaded with vista ultimate, which i kinda regretted checking that option. I only realized after using that i don't really need any functions from the ultimate vista, and these functions are causing unnecessary lags.

I am thinking of reformatting my laptop and go through proper procedures to slim it down. At the same time, i am also considering dual OS (vista/xp) it.

The first problem i encounter is that, i can't find the drivers needed for T61. Can someone please give me the link to download all the drivers required of T61?

Second question is regarding the use of restore disk provided by lenovo. I have not used the disk yet, but i do have a couple questions in mind. Let's say i boot up my laptop using XP installation disk and format the hdd into 3 partitions. Can i choose to restore factory settings to the first partition only? I have read a bit about vista on the internet. It seems that vista take up an unecessary amount of space which can be conserved. I don't want to have 80Gbs of my hdd consumed by the screwed up OS.

Please help. Thanks in advance

ConnectDon
Greps Everything
Views: 403
Message 2 of 2

Re: Help with Driver/OS

T61 Drivers and Software

The restore disc(s) you received are most likely for XP Pro and not for Vista Ultimate.  How many did you receive and how are they labeled?  See these instructions for creating your Vista Ultimate restore discs.

Restoring from a restore disc will wipe all your existing partitions.  Restoring from the service partition (first partition) via the ThinkVantage button will allow you to restore to the second partition and leave any other partitions unchanged.

If you restore from the service partition, you can choose a Custom Recovery and uncheck any software you don't want to install.  I unchecked everything but PC-Doctor for Windows and Wallpaper 2007.  If you uncheck any third-party software (e.g. Diskeeper Home), the setup files won't be placed in the C:\SWTOOLS folder and you won't be able to add the software later without doing another recovery.  So I would backup your current C:\SWTOOLS folder before doing a Custom Recovery.

Don

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors