cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaveB23
Paper Tape
Views: 1,593
Message 1 of 8

How can I rename my recovery partition? (T43 #1871 running XP Pro sp3)

I have a ThinkPad T43 (1871) which has somehow gotten it's recovery partition renamed from D to a dash (-).  I believe I need to rename it to partition D, but have no idea as to how this might be accomplished.  I have recovery disks on order from Lenovo, but doubt I'll be able to use them until I rename the appropriate partition.  Does anyone here have any idea as to how this might be done? Would greatly appreciate ANY help in this direction.  Many thanks...  Dave

tienkhoanguyen
SCSI Port
Views: 1,574
Message 2 of 8

Re: How can I rename my recovery partition? (T43 #1871 running XP Pro sp3)

You might need to assign it a drive letter. Usually when a partition is missing a letter like C:, D:, etc. it needs to be assigned. You can do this in disk management wherre you can inspect partitions and more!hehe Anyways, I usually type in "partition" in the help section and it shows up in windows. Then I click on open. It is complicated to explain so you are hopefully able to get there from here. I'm sorry for confusing you any further. hehe
IBM Thinkpad T20 (2000)
eMachines T3104 (2005)
MacBook Pro (early 2011)
tienkhoanguyen
SCSI Port
Views: 1,572
Message 3 of 8

Heart

Warn! 

I personally would not try to change it unless you have definitely NOT been able to recover as is.

It might be a special partition that is hidden.

Enjoy!

hehe

IBM Thinkpad T20 (2000)
eMachines T3104 (2005)
MacBook Pro (early 2011)
DaveB23
Paper Tape
Views: 1,546
Message 4 of 8

Yes, that is the problem.  I cannot access the recovery patition at all, and when I try to rename it in disk management, it ramains out of reach as if it is somehow special and inaccessible.  I used to be able to boot from it, but no longer.  And in disk management it only shows up as "ServiceV001".  When I first booted from my XP disk to install that OS, it showed up as being named with a dash, rather than a letter.  I want to rename it D, which I expect will make it show up as a bootable partition again (?) but can't figure out how to do this.  I have a set of recovery disks on order from Lenovo, which may resolve this problem, but don't know for sure yet whether that will do the job or not.

Many thanks for the reply.  I love my laptop, and would like to keep it running if that is possible.  Wife wants me to just get a new one...  And the guy at the service center acted like working with a machine "this old" was a hopeless cause.  I used to repair computers however, and don't give up that easily.

Take it easy...

Dave

T43 and a cluster of ancient Macs.

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,537
Message 5 of 8

Hi Dave, welcome to the forums,

as the service partition is visible, it's not bootable; usually through pressing F11 or the blue Access IBM button followed by F11.  You should be able reclaim the space by deleting the partition in drive management, this will then enable you to create a new partition and allocate a drive letter.

If you wish to boot to the partition, assuming it's not damaged in any way, you will need to set it to Normal again in the BIOS security menu, my guess is you have it set to Disabled.

t43bios.PNG

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

DaveB23
Paper Tape
Views: 1,509
Message 6 of 8

Hey Andy, thanks for the welcome.  And by golly, you were right,, that volume was disabled in the security portion of the IBM BIOS.  But setting it to normal doesn't seem to change anything.  And I'm curoius, why do you say it is visible, therefore not bootable?  (I *think* I have this right...)  I can only see it in Disk Management, not anywhere else. F12 doesn't show it as a bootable device, even though I used to boot from it to do backups. I don't know what changed.  Just thought of something.  A while back I found a piece of malware on my C:/ drive and clicked in it (not knowing what it was) which let loose a torrent of crap which had to be eliminated and set straight.  I believe that was around the time that I started having trouble with this drive, and backups which would not complete successfully (they all tried to access drive D, which had become my RW CD/DVD drive.  Errors resulted, and the backups failed at that point.)

So how can I tell if this recovery partition is hidden or visible?  And how can I change it?  Believe me, I'm all ears..  Took the laptop to a data doctor this weekend who tried to sell me a new computer, saying that this one probably had a corrupted hard drive and wasn't worth trying to salvage. <shaking head>

Thanks for the help.

Dave

When at last you do succeed, hide your astonishment.

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,501
Message 7 of 8

When the partition is set to disabled it is not bootable.  Can you boot into R&R when it is set to normal in the BIOS security menu by pressing F11?

F12 will not / cannot show the partition as a bootable device.

Speculation;  it may be possible that due to something you have done whilst the partition was set to disable has corrupted the partition preventing it from working as designed.  It is also possible that the hard drive is defective; testing it with a bootable diagnosis cd can't hurt, all hard drive manufacturers offer diagnosis software free to download.

An explanation of the HPA can be found here;  http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/HPA 

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

DaveB23
Paper Tape
Views: 1,491
Message 8 of 8

Hey again,

No, F11 doesn't seem to do anything but slow down the boot process.  I *used* to boot into R&R by pressing the Access IBM button early in the boot proceedure. Now that just gives me a menu by which the BIOS may be accessed.  I *think* I remember using F11 a long time ago, but no details.  Argh.

Thanks again for the help.

Dave

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals