cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atldude
Paper Tape
Views: 3,599
Message 1 of 8

How do I find out what my bit processor is?

I have a 2yr old t61 with the Windows XP downgrade from Vista, with 2.46ghz intel core 2 duo processor. I got some software that is 64 bit, but am not sure how to determine if it is compatible with my machine. If it isn't, is this something I can upgrade?

Guru
Views: 3,583
Message 2 of 8

Re: How do I find out what my bit processor is?

To run a 64 program you need a 64 bit OS so you cannot run a 64 application under a 32 bits version of Windows. Also your T61 can run a 64 bit version of Windows so Vista x64 and Windows 7 x64 should work fine. It should also work fine with a 64 bit version of Windows XP, but since Lenovo do not provide drivers for the 64 bit version of XP i wouldn't recommend to do so. In that case you might find it to be a challenge finding all the drivers.

So the answer is yes your machine support 64 bit, but need a 64 bit OS to run 64 bit applications.

By the way seems like you entered your email address in the location field so you might want to change your profile so the location contains your location instead of the mail address.

-gan

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 3,570
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for spotting that gan! I hid the email.

atldude, if you really want it there you can put it back, but it will get picked up by the SPAM crawlers. And welcome to the Lenovo User Community!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
atldude
Paper Tape
Views: 3,549
Message 4 of 8

My machine has Windows XP professional on it. Is that the 32 or 64 bit version? How can I find out?

If I upgrade to Windows 7, should I uninstall XP or can I just install the newer version without removing it first? Are all versions of Windows 7 64 bit?

Thanks so much for your help.

atldude
Paper Tape
Views: 3,548
Message 5 of 8

Thanks for hiding the email. I used an autofill feature to fill in the fields, so that must be why I had the email listed there.

Guru
Views: 3,517
Message 6 of 8

Your current Windows version is most likely 32 bit and not 64 bit. If you run "msinfo32" it should say "System type x86-based PC" if it's a 32 bit OS or "System type x64-based PC" if a 64 bit OS. If the OS is pre-installed from Lenovo it's 32 bit.

There is no way to uninstall XP, but you can delete the disk even if there is not reason to do so. If you currently got Windows XP 32 bit (which is most likely the case) you cannot perform a upgrade to the 64 bit version of Windows 7. It's not supported to perform a upgrade from a 32 bit Windows to 64 bit Windows in any case. You can install on top of your current Windows XP installation without having to remove XP first, but it will be a new installation so you have to backup everything you want to keep, reinstall the drivers, Lenovo software and all the other software you currently got installed. A 64 bit Windows version require 64 bit drivers as well that is available from Lenovo. The easiest way would be to install Windows 7, install Lenovo system update 4.0 and download/install the drivers and Lenovo software using system update. That's much faster and easier compared to download all the Lenovo stuff manually.

Windows 7 is available as 32 and 64 bit so it's not like all Windows 7 is 64 bit. If you decide to buy Windows 7 i would recommend 64 bit.

Edit: Also i forgot to mention upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 is neither supported so going from XP to 7 it will be a new Windows installation and you have to reinstall all of your software. It's supported to upgrade vista x86 to Windows 7 x86 and Vista x64 to Windows 7 x64. XP to 7 is not supported in any case and from a 32 bit OS to 64 bit OS is neither supported in any case.

-gan

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,485
Message 7 of 8

Hello,

Just to add my anecdotal experience, I have run the 64-bit versions of both Microsoft Windows Vista and Microsoft Windows 7 on my ThinkPad T61 at work.  Driver support is essentially the same for both operating systems (I believe that in most cases the same package are installed for either operating system).  It seems to me that my system performed much better (faster startup and shutdown, application switching, keyboard and mouse responsiveness and so forth) with Windows 7.  If you have an equal choice between the two operating systems, I would strongly suggest going with Windows 7.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Retired Guru
Views: 3,468
Message 8 of 8

Right-click My Computer and choose Properties.

If it does not say x64 after Windows version, it is 32 bit.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors