cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
art140
Punch Card
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎06-08-2008
Location: London, ON, Canada
Views: 4,097
Message 1 of 16

How to use the rescue and recovery, and the product recovery discs ?

Hi everyone,

 

I've just recently became a new owner of a T61, and really enjoying it. I haven't had a chance yet to test-drive the lenovo phone support, as I have not yet screwed anything up that bad that required their help. I did try a clean factory reinstall from the service partition and it worked great. I would like to find out, how does one use the rescue and recovery startup disc, and the product recovery discs that I created myself? From my previous experience with Dell and HP, I only had to insert the first one and restart the computer, and the rest followed. But with ThinkPads, if I ever wanted to bring it to a clean factory state using those discs, do I use rescue and recovery first, followed by the product recovery? I'm curious, what is the difference between the two? 

_____________________________________
T61 (7658CTO), T9300, 3GB, 250GB, XP Pro
jasondarla
Punch Card
Posts: 61
Registered: ‎07-18-2008
Location: victoria, bc, canada
Views: 4,085
Message 2 of 16

Re: How to use the rescue and recovery, and the product recovery discs ?

The disks you created will allow you to recover your operating sys. without the rescue and recovery portion of your harddrive. It is especially usefull if your harddrive dies and you need to load onto a new drive.
T61P(6459-CTO) T9300 @ 2.5 GHz, 4g ram, Quadro FX 570M, Vista Bus. 64Bit, 160gig 7200 rpm HD, WSXGA disp.
dah
Punch Card
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎07-21-2008
Location: USA
Views: 4,078
Message 3 of 16

Re: How to use the rescue and recovery, and the product recovery discs ?

In my opinion these are really two different products intended for two different uses. Rescue & Recovery I believe should be used on a working hard drive in your note book. You could use this to recover a file, or to fix a virus, in theory.

 

The product recovery disc on the other hand should be used to upgrade the OS, (every so often Lenovo will update the base OS and base drivers ~ if you need to re-image your system do you really want to start with an image say two years old, and have to apply all the updates that occurred over that two year time span?) or when you are installing a new hard drive. A new hard drive will not have the Rescue and Recovery partition on it. So simply installing a new hard drive and running rescue and recovery by pressing F11 is NOT an option.

Former Employee
Posts: 83
Registered: ‎06-01-2008
Location: Dallas
Views: 4,073
Message 4 of 16

Re: How to use the rescue and recovery, and the product recovery discs ?

Hi art140,

 

The R&R startup disk you created is exactly that - a startup disk.  In other words, it's a bootable cd that you use to start up the system with so that you can get into the R&R pre-desktop area.   From there, you can do a restore of your system from one of your saved backups (assuming you have been creating backups on a regular basis with R&R).  You would use this startup disk for situations such as an OS failure and you simply can't boot into Windows for some reason and therefore want to restore your system back to a known working state from one of your saved backups.  

 

When you created your own set of recovery media (http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-68317), the first cd you created was also a startup cd, followed by the rest of the cd's or dvd's that contain the factory image.   

art140
Punch Card
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎06-08-2008
Location: London, ON, Canada
Views: 4,059
Message 5 of 16

Re: How to use the rescue and recovery, and the product recovery discs ?


@jasondarla wrote:
The disks you created will allow you to recover your operating sys. without the rescue and recovery portion of your harddrive. It is especially usefull if your harddrive dies and you need to load onto a new drive.

 

Hi jasondarla,

 

Thanks for your reply, but this much I know as well. I didn't ask what the discs are for. It is precisely for this purpose, as you said, that they are being used, i.e. in case the hard drive dies. My question (again) is this. What is the method of using them. Is it: turn off, then load rescue and recovery. OR Turn off, then load system discs.... ? 

_____________________________________
T61 (7658CTO), T9300, 3GB, 250GB, XP Pro
art140
Punch Card
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎06-08-2008
Location: London, ON, Canada
Views: 4,056
Message 6 of 16

Re: How to use the rescue and recovery, and the product recovery discs ?


@kr00zn wrote:

Hi art140,

 

The R&R startup disk you created is exactly that - a startup disk.  In other words, it's a bootable cd that you use to start up the system with so that you can get into the R&R pre-desktop area.   From there, you can do a restore of your system from one of your saved backups (assuming you have been creating backups on a regular basis with R&R).  You would use this startup disk for situations such as an OS failure and you simply can't boot into Windows for some reason and therefore want to restore your system back to a known working state from one of your saved backups.  

 

When you created your own set of recovery media (http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-68317), the first cd you created was also a startup cd, followed by the rest of the cd's or dvd's that contain the factory image.   


 

Hi kr00zn

 

One more question.

My system boots up, but want to bring the notebook to its factory installed condition, using the discs I created earlier.

How do I go about it ?

_____________________________________
T61 (7658CTO), T9300, 3GB, 250GB, XP Pro
blake_ibm
Paper Tape
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎07-27-2008
Location: ATLANTA
Views: 4,025
Message 7 of 16

Re: How to use the rescue and recovery, and the product recovery discs ?

Hi! I'm blake

There is no diff between the two... One is on  the Hard Drive and the other on CD/DVD.

Having the HDD version (pre-installed) is a good for trouble shooting.  It uses a whole diff O/S on a whole diff partition (not CSmiley Happy.

So if you are having problems and boot to RnR (via F11), and those problems go away. you know your issue is software related. If you still have the same problems probly Hardware related...  IT IS AN EFFECTIVE WAY TO TAKE WINDOWS OUT OF THE PROBLEM.

 

Other then that. You can re-image another HDD from disks, you can't do that with the F11 version.

dose all that make sense?

art140
Punch Card
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎06-08-2008
Location: London, ON, Canada
Views: 3,998
Message 8 of 16

Re: How to use the rescue and recovery, and the product recovery discs ?


@blake_ibm wrote:

Hi! I'm blake

There is no diff between the two... One is on  the Hard Drive and the other on CD/DVD.

Having the HDD version (pre-installed) is a good for trouble shooting.  It uses a whole diff O/S on a whole diff partition (not CSmiley Happy.

So if you are having problems and boot to RnR (via F11), and those problems go away. you know your issue is software related. If you still have the same problems probly Hardware related...  IT IS AN EFFECTIVE WAY TO TAKE WINDOWS OUT OF THE PROBLEM.

 

Other then that. You can re-image another HDD from disks, you can't do that with the F11 version.

dose all that make sense?


Hi blake_ibm,

 

Thanks. All this makes perfect sense to me, but that's not what I'm asking for. My question is this: if I wanted to bring my notebook to its factory shipped condition using my recovery cd's, how do I do that? Do I insert cd1 first and then restart the notebook, or do I just insert it without restarting it, or perhaps I should use first the rescue and recovery?

 

You said that there is no difference between the two, but what two are you talking about man? I am not comparing cd recovery to partition recovery. I am talking about rescue and recovery cd, with system recovery cd's. These are the two things that I'm talking about.

 

I'm really grateful for all replies, but please people, read the question first !!!

 

I would really appreciate if someone could explain the steps involved in performing a clean factory recovery, using the cd's, and not the recovery partition. I just want to know for the future, in case one day I have to do it. That is all I'm asking.

_____________________________________
T61 (7658CTO), T9300, 3GB, 250GB, XP Pro
ConnectDon
Greps Everything
Posts: 221
Registered: ‎06-20-2008
Location: United States
Views: 3,977
Message 9 of 16

Re: How to use the rescue and recovery, and the product recovery discs ?


@art140 wrote:

From my previous experience with Dell and HP, I only had to insert the first one and restart the computer, and the rest followed. But with ThinkPads, if I ever wanted to bring it to a clean factory state using those discs, do I use rescue and recovery first, followed by the product recovery? I'm curious, what is the difference between the two? 


  1. Put the Rescue and Recovery disc in the drive and restart.  This disc contains the same program that you used when you restored your system from the service partition.  After the program loads you'll see the same screen with the same options as before.
  2. Choose to restore your system as you did with the service partition.  You will not see an option to do a custom restore.  When the program is run from the disc, it automatically does a full restore.
  3. The program will rebuild the service partition and copy the program files over to it.  When prompted, insert the Product Recovery discs.  The compressed system and application files contained on these discs will be copied over to the new service partition.  Once the copying process is complete, your system will be restored from the service partition.
  4. After restoration, you will be able to make a new set of recovery discs if desired.  You will also be able to do a custom restore through the service partition.

 

 

Don

art140
Punch Card
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎06-08-2008
Location: London, ON, Canada
Views: 3,973
Message 10 of 16

Re: How to use the rescue and recovery, and the product recovery discs ?


@ConnectDon wrote:

@art140 wrote:

From my previous experience with Dell and HP, I only had to insert the first one and restart the computer, and the rest followed. But with ThinkPads, if I ever wanted to bring it to a clean factory state using those discs, do I use rescue and recovery first, followed by the product recovery? I'm curious, what is the difference between the two? 


  1. Put the Rescue and Recovery disc in the drive and restart.  This disc contains the same program that you used when you restored your system from the service partition.  After the program loads you'll see the same screen with the same options as before.
  2. Choose to restore your system as you did with the service partition.  You will not see an option to do a custom restore.  When the program is run from the disc, it automatically does a full restore.
  3. The program will rebuild the service partition and copy the program files over to it.  When prompted, insert the Product Recovery discs.  The compressed system and application files contained on these discs will be copied over to the new service partition.  Once the copying process is complete, your system will be restored from the service partition.
  4. After restoration, you will be able to make a new set of recovery discs if desired.  You will also be able to do a custom restore through the service partition.

 

 

Don


 

Thank you, that's what I was looking for. Really appreciate your help.
_____________________________________
T61 (7658CTO), T9300, 3GB, 250GB, XP Pro

Check out current deals!


Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors