Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
annanan
What's DOS?
Views: 1,833
Message 1 of 8

I am having trouble finding a replacement hard drive

Evidently I blew my hard drive when I installed a web cam.  Now I can't seem to find a replacement hard drive for my z61t through Lenovo online or phone service.  Does anyone have any tips on where I can find a replacement?  I'm so discouraged -- I should have bought a warranty but thought they should guarantee it longer than 1 year so on principle I held out.  Now I am 2 months past warranty and this is where my principles got me!!!  I am a fifty-something technophobe -- can any of you youngsters help me?!?!

Thank you!

Guru
Views: 1,820
Message 2 of 8

Re: I am having trouble finding a replacement hard drive

Welcome to the forum!

At today's low prices for SATA drives, this would be my pick:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10008857

I have it in my T60p and love it...

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
annanan
What's DOS?
Views: 1,814
Message 3 of 8

Thank you so much!!! I could have never found this or figured this out on my own.  It looks perfect!!!!
janiex
What's DOS?
Views: 1,786
Message 4 of 8

Hello to everybody,

I need to upgrade my HDD to higher capacity one (and faster). So my configuration is IBM Z60M - 2529 HFG. Currently I have 80GB 5400 rpm. So I plan to change it to 200GB or higher with 16 MB cash and 7200 rpm. The real problem I'm expecting to face is how to transfer the hidden recovery partiotion to the new HDD if there some constraint concerning that, please give feedback.

Thanks in advance!

Janiex

IBM ThinkPad z60m 2529 HFG
Windows XP Home Edition.
Retired Guru
Views: 1,719
Message 5 of 8

You will need an adapter to connect the new hard drive via USB.

Use Easeus Disk Copy. It will copy the entire hard drive, sector-to-sector, to the new hard drive. This includes the recovery/hidden partition. Nothing will be changed/modified. Then you can create a new partition to use the remainder of unallocated space.

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //
ZaZ
Greps Everything
Views: 1,706
Message 6 of 8

If you have the recovery discs, they build the recovery partition and from it do the install.
Views: 1,623
Message 7 of 8

Ortegalius, I've heard that having 2 or more partitions on a hard drive can burn it out faster. The easeus web-site has a partition resizer that will utilize the remainder of it.
Retired Guru
Views: 1,613
Message 8 of 8

I have not heard of such a thing.

I would think if having programs on "D" while Windows is on "C", when using programs the heads would be moving more often. This would also happen with a severely fragmented hard drive. This wear and tear would be miniscule, IMO. Hard drives have mechanical components which are bound to fail. I personally use two partitions. "C" for Windows [about 80GB] and the reamaining space as "D" for personal data. This has worked for me greatly as I constantly am formatting/installing/reinstalling different operating systems on drive "C".

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals